Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my first build. I recently bought back my 1966 Mustang all original 289 2v. Even though its all original, lets face it not a whole lot of resale because it was the 2v regular daily driver car. Now, this being said, in the next year I plan on gutting it and starting over, with a street/strip set up. Some of the mods im planning(after I get another wiring harness and put my enginge back in) are a 4bbl carb (Holley more than likely), a Weiand intake, I already have headers, electronic exhaust cutouts, a mild street cam(possibly something I can use with my stock heads) and for now thats pretty much it. The question I have is what set up to run for tranny and rear end... I am wanting 1/8 speed, so Ive considered 4.11-4.56 ratio, but not sure what would be too much. I am also wondering if I should build my stock transmission or buy a TCI. Once I do this, for a good launch with an automatic, what size stall do I need? Any advice, ideas, different set up plans, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Like I said, this is my first build, and I will be pretty much doing it by myself. Thanks for all Input.

-66 mustang, 09 Honda Civic Si

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ok, this is my first build. I recently bought back my 1966 Mustang all original 289 2v. Even though its all original, lets face it not a whole lot of resale because it was the 2v regular daily driver car. Now, this being said, in the next year I plan on gutting it and starting over, with a street/strip set up. Some of the mods im planning(after I get another wiring harness and put my enginge back in) are a 4bbl carb (Holley more than likely), a Weiand intake, I already have headers, electronic exhaust cutouts, a mild street cam(possibly something I can use with my stock heads) and for now thats pretty much it. The question I have is what set up to run for tranny and rear end... I am wanting 1/8 speed, so Ive considered 4.11-4.56 ratio, but not sure what would be too much. I am also wondering if I should build my stock transmission or buy a TCI. Once I do this, for a good launch with an automatic, what size stall do I need? Any advice, ideas, different set up plans, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Like I said, this is my first build, and I will be pretty much doing it by myself. Si
TCI out of Ontario Calif. used to have their own tested and approved Trannys. Should you now say to them I've got and want to... You would then get a non-comittal responce.

Wm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You kinda need to know the rpm levels of the engine before selecting the gear ratio and stall speeds..I would get the engine combo together and then go from there..Keep in mind a "mild" camshaft and 4.56 gears may not be happy together...Will the car be street/strip or strip car only?..Do you have any kind of performance goals in mind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You kinda need to know the rpm levels of the engine before selecting the gear ratio and stall speeds..I would get the engine combo together and then go from there..Keep in mind a "mild" camshaft and 4.56 gears may not be happy together...Will the car be street/strip or strip car only?..Do you have any kind of performance goals in mind?

None in particular, just more or less a street/strip for the weekends. If I sell my civic, then I may have more cash monthly to put into the car, but havent decided about that yet. If I do that, then I may look at bigger engine possibilities. how would i determine my gear ratio and stall speed based on my rpms?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Start with a strong shortblock that'll survive abuse. The 289 stock rods are very weak. the small rod bolts a pencil size and break easy. Oiling control and probably 10-1 comp. Then the heads. Valve size, port flow numbers, cast or alum? Then talk cam. What's your rpm range? 3000-6500 or 1500-5500. Makes a big difference on profiles. Solid, hyd roller or hyd cam? Holley size, 650 at most. Manifold Weiand stealth or Edle rpm. Distb?? any perference? Headers, long tube with 1 5/8" prim into 3" collectors. Auto stall with be after deciding on cam specs. Strong C-4 is hard to beat. The 66 C-4 is an early version and doesn't have the good stuff. 70 with 26in a nd out splined shafts are strongest. Check out the C-4 forum on here. The 8" is strong, just needs help. You don't need a heavy 9" on that light of car. Shelby used them because atthe time there was nothing better. Metal streangth and technology for 8" rearends has come a long way. Suspension, what's your plans???

·
Registered
180 Posts
congrats on your mustang. no matter what course you want to go ie strip,street,..and you want to "gut it and start over"...do what i wish i had done.

Sit down and make a list of "wants and needs" and no matter how bad you want something it isnt always a need.
take a bunch of pics.write stuff down.even the smallest things that might seem really unimportant.things change in the course of building a car.and you often run into things you werent thinking of also.. and try not to put the cart before the horse so-ta-speak.

and by all means ask ?'s here the guys will be able to give you all kinds of help.
Scott

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
None in particular, just more or less a street/strip for the weekends. If I sell my civic, then I may have more cash monthly to put into the car, but havent decided about that yet. If I do that, then I may look at bigger engine possibilities. how would i determine my gear ratio and stall speed based on my rpms?
Basically you want enough stall speed to let the engine rev to where it is making power so you can get a good launch..You will need the proper gears to get you down the track..Most like to hit peak rpms right before or at the finish line.. If your setting it up for 1/8th mile the optimum gearing for racing may not be too street friendly unless you have overdrive..

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
congrats on your mustang. no matter what course you want to go ie strip,street,..and you want to "gut it and start over"...do what i wish i had done.

Sit down and make a list of "wants and needs" and no matter how bad you want something it isnt always a need.
take a bunch of pics.write stuff down.even the smallest things that might seem really unimportant.things change in the course of building a car.and you often run into things you werent thinking of also.. and try not to put the cart before the horse so-ta-speak.

and by all means ask ?'s here the guys will be able to give you all kinds of help.
Scott

Take Scott68coupe's advice!!!! This will save you so much time and money, search eBay and craigslist daily and don't rush yourself........I put a folder together and evey time I see an tech artical I print it off and keep it till I'm ready for "that" part of the rebuild.....good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts