Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got home from my 1st dyno run 220kw @5800rpm 480nm torque carbies went lean and was pinging so had to stop, very happy!!!hopefully a dyno tune on friday
for those of you who dont know my engine "dark" has a pic of my engine!!!!!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Don't give em any ideas RPM I hate this stupid metric system that we had shoved down our throats here in Canada.Most of it is easy enough to figure out but its hard to relate to if your used to the imperial system.I always find myself converting it back so I can make some sense out of it.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Well, in the metric system water freezes at 0 celcius and boils at 100 c. Tell me how the Farenheight system makes sense? Do you even know Fahrenheit temperature water freezes and boils? You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't.

One cubic centimeter (milliliter) of water has a mass of one gram. 1000 cubic centimeters (one liter) has a mass of one kilogram.

There is only one base unit of length (meter), one base unit of volume (liter), and
one base unit of mass (gram).

To these you add a system of prefixes that are all multiples of '10'... which makes
for easy calculations.

milli 1/1000
centi 1/100
deci 1/10
-- base unit --
Deca 10
hecto 100
kilo 1000

A millimeter is 1/1000 of a meter.
A kilometer is 1000 meters.

Converting between units is simply a matter of moving the decimal.

You ever try and convert between inches and miles? How about cups to gallons? Teaspoons to cups? pints to tablespoons? Conversions are a PITA with american units. With metric units, they all use the same prefixes, and any conversions simply require one to move the decimal place to the left or right.

Since it's all based on powers of 10, Conversion between units is WAY easier with
the metric system. If you do many conversions and calculations (like I do), the american system will drive you nuts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
On 2002-04-10 13:20, frdnut wrote:
Don't give em any ideas RPM I hate this stupid metric system that we had shoved down our throats here in Canada.Most of it is easy enough to figure out but its hard to relate to if your used to the imperial system.I always find myself converting it back so I can make some sense out of it.
DITTO!!!

WHY THEY DID IT I'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND I MEAN LIKE WHO WAS AND CONTINUES TO BE OUR LARGEST FRIEND/TRADING PARTNER??? AND WHAT SYTEM DO THEY USE??? SO WHY WOULD THE GOV'T GO AHEAD WITH IT, COST EVERYONE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER ALL OF THAT GRIEF AND CONTINUING EXPENSE??

ps Just saw Mikes post and as per usual, "THE PROF"
has laid out his points very well and I can't debate same but, I might be looking at this on too narrow a scale but I'm only looking at this from a North American point of view as opposed to the global economy. I don't doubt much like currency changes throughout the world, that it is possible(probable?) that the US might follow suit at some point in time re changeover to metric??

Okay Mike, time for test on the Periodic Table!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polar68 on 4/11/02 3:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rumor (I'm not old enough to have first hand knowledge) has it that the US did attempt to convert to the metric system. I have seen pictures of speed signs in both km and mph (not from the Canadian border).

Regarding the metric clock, there was a picture in one of my text books that had a clock with only 10 major units. I don't recall if that gave a 10hr or a 20hr day.

As far as the calendar, I would welcome a metric approach. At work, I have used an M-day calendar that started at some date in the past and has no end. I have also used the standard calendar, "budget month" calendar, and Julian calendar. We also have the issue of calendar years vs. fiscal years, etc. I am constantly making conversions and explaining to higher-ups why the official numbers don't match what they were able to figure out in a spreadsheet. With international suppliers and contracts that extend for decades, I aslo run into issues with how we and Europeans format dates (mm/dd/yyyy vs. dd/mm/yyyy). PLEASE CONVERT THE WORLD TO A METRIC CALENDAR!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Gotta love those 80's cars that are half metric and half SAE...

The USA IS converting to metric, but changing 200 years of infrastructure isn't going to happen overnight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't care what you say, Nebraska will never fully be able to convert to the metric system. Unless someone wants to come out here and relayout all the country roads, get involved w/ farmer's land issues, lot sizes, acres, sections......

How many countries actually still use the imperial system anyway? The US and.....

What the hell is a decimeter anyway and how many inches is that

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
1 decimeter = 10cm
2.54cm = 1in.
10cm / 2.54cm = 3.94in

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/11/02 4:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry to dissapoint you guys about watts metic etc but this was a period of happiness for me not a lesson on which measurement is better!
n20 it is rear wheel hp!

·
Registered
407 Posts
So if my Truck weighs say 300 stones,(1908kg) and my 7.65 liter motor puts out say 320kw will it still haul more than cargo?

·
Registered
749 Posts
water boils at 212^ and freezes at 32F
and they will never change are beloved old V8's to metric thank gawd

pass me the 1/2 wrench please

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sorry giddyup1 didn't mean to overlook your accomplishments.295hp sounds good with more to be had it sounds like.The point is if N2O Mike hadn't converted it nobody would have known what the hell you were talking about.Anyway congratulations,what were the specs on your motor?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts