Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
took the Galaxie out for the second time this year, about 10 miles from home started steaming under the hood...ironically, it wasnt a 47 yr old part that failed, but the 9 yr old chrome/o-ringed thermostat housing I got at Summit, corroded thru, blew a 1/2 inch hole out the bottom... let it cool off a hour or so, some tape and distilled water from the grocery store, left the cap off so no pressure, got it home undamaged, just thought it was funny how one of the only newer parts on the engine was what failed...still running the original cruis-o-matic, starter (was stunned to see april 65 date stamp, asked Ben, yes it was original) original alternator, regulator... think I'll look for a NOS ford part to put back on it, I tossed the OE one when we had the car apart as it had some corrosion, but it was pushing 40 yrs old at the time too... nothing lasts forever, but gotta say FoMoCo put some decent parts in this old car- wouldnt be afraid to drive it cross country :)
sad thing is, hadnt thought/realized till thinking about it tonight 9 yrs have passed since we got it, the 'new' parts aint 'new' anymore...she rolled over 57,800 miles on the way home- my 40 year younger Mustang will hit that by next year :)

Tim

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I feel you man. My Falconaround has been with us since 2-22-2006 and hasn't failed me yet but is now experiencing a loss of compression in #1... So I gotta check out my valves and lifters and cam, might be going flat, the engine is a fomoco rebuilt 200 from a 64 Ranchero rebuilt in 1966 by Ford themselves.

Up until last year I used the original Starter and Generator, but had to re-brush the generator last year. Starter is still good but sitting in a box in the corner...

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yesterday was only the third time out in the Gal this year...took my old buddy Don along (his brother Ben originally gave us the galaxie) out to put some flowers at the graveyards, then to visit his other brother (small world- I grew up next to his brother Gene, was friends with Gene's kids, moved into my first house, found out Genes brother Ben lived next door, got to know Don when Ben was sick...) We dropped him off afterwards, then about a mile from his house, popped the alternator belt... broke right in the middle of the 'made in mexico' printing. glad it happened after we dropped him off, unfortunately he's had some health problems and is not looking so good lately...hes like 6'2" but I doubt hes even 100 pounds now- all in all doing pretty good for 88 yrs old, but its been a hard year for him, his 'baby brother' Gene is now 80...really neat old folks to visit with :)

Anyways, glad it wasnt something big, just odd, the first 2 breakdowns weve had have both been due to 'newer' parts, not 47 yr old stuff. luckily the wife got home from work about the time it happened, called home she went to the parts store for a belt and brought tools to us... easy fixes are good :)

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you believe that car still has the original starter on it? Found a date stamp when we were cleaning it up back in 03' April 1965... And it cranks 15-20 seconds at every cold startup, has since the first time I fired it up...I'm amazed the battery I bought in 03 has never missed a beat- my thinking is as the clock don't work, ther is zero drain on it...Its sat up to 3 months without being touched, always starts- just cranks a long time.
Every other car I've had that's sat has killed a battery within a year, even if started every couple weeks. My 09 mustang is on its second battery, will be needing not her by spring most likely, even though it gets ran every couple weeks...I started unhooking the battery in it so the computer won't kill it, otherwise 2.5 weeks it's too weak to start- will see if it helps, but I do think the slight drain from full charge is enough to cause sulfation.

That's amazing your falcons generator ran that long too- they really built stuff back then huh :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts