Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tomorrow will be my first race with this Galaxie. It is a street race in down town Kingman Arizona on Beals street, they will have NHRA tech and rules and timing lights. This is a 16th mile race or 330 Ft. It is mostly to help fund a new 1/4 mile track to be built at some point. I got the car ready to run, I will be on street tires and open headers running in Hot Rod class. It starts at 10:00 AM and goes to 10:00 PM, 12 hours of street racing. There are cars from all over the area such as California and Las Vegas to mention a few. I am looking forward to making some noise and having some fun. Wish me luck friends,
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good luck, kinda wish they'd do that here, instead of all these rice kids racing minivans. We had a good track, Sox & Martin was actually here in the early 70's my dad told me. I've seen old footage of it too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't be too harsh on the 1/8-mile strips. For the street guys like ourselves, they are really a great way to go. For one thing, the distance keeps overall speeds down thus promoting safety. Second, a guy is less likely to overstrain his ride with the shorter distance. Third, if any sort of grandstand is erected, folks can see the entire run. Fourth, it requires less space to set one up.

I have written a couple of books about auto racing in Southern California and can tell you more than you want to know.

Suffice to say, the 1/8 strip they built as Irwindale Dragstrip has attracted a large crowd every Thursday night since they opened a few years ago as well as the Summit Racing Series once or twice a month on Sundays. Local law enforcement like it because it has helped get some racing off the street. On a regular patrol, officers will often approach street-racer-looking groups and hand out "tickets to speed," which are really passes to Irwindale Raceway. It reminds the locals that they do have an outlet besides Main Street.

Besides, the key to winning drag races lies in reaction time -- a matter of a few inches.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Right on about the reaction time, specnot. A car traveling 100 mph covers 146 feet per second. Say you have 2 equal cars racing, if one has a .1 second slower reaction time than the other, that car will lose by 14.6 feet . If his reaction time is slow by 1/100th of a second he will lose by 1.46 feet. This is assuming the cars are equal and have a trap speed of 100 mph.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a ball, there was over 440 cars and a great croud turn out. My first run was at 11:21 am and I stood on it hard and spun my tires the entire 330 ft through all three gears. I wa running street tires and open headers. I made four runs and pretty much had similar results with all runs, no traction. I could not get a good reaction time on any run. My R/T's were .682 then .790 then .784 then .616, my ET's were 7.805, 7.506, 7.601 and last was 7.646. My speeds were 50.375 MPH, 53.773 MPH, 54.511 and 51.898. I will need to invest in a set of lower gears weth a locker and a set of slicks before I can improove my times. I am running a 300 to 1 rear with no posi. I won 3 of the four runs due to the other cars Red Lighting, the last run i was beat by a mean little black Mustang that ran 5.761. I enjoyed the thrill of the croud and had alot of people who came up to me and said they just love my car. Thanks for listening and take care friends,
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Make your first priority the posi/locker. It will help et's a lot. The open hinder won't be with you long anyhow because spider gears are made for going around corners and not so the right rear is going 70 mph while the left rear is napping. (Really hard on parts)

P.S. If you don't red light once in a while you ain't leaving quick enough. Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks dave, I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for a lower gearset with posi. I hooked up my exhaust system yesterday and now I can drive it on the street. Your 66 Galaxie sounds great and Candy red is my favorite color. Take care Dave,
Bill Bailey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts