Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally stopped raining here and the track opened. Car ran better than expected, until it broke. By then the track was going away and everyone was having trouble going straight.
I'm running a ford traction lock (the kind with clutches)in my 8" with the 3:80's. I wasnt doing anything but blowing the tires off and having to shortshift around 5000 just to minimize it. Lets say my best 60 foot was 2.6 sec! That was with my best 14.4 pass. I know both were spinning at one time because there is rubber on both quarters (car is white). My question is about what happens part of the time is when I shift the car into second she just goes sideways and I have to get out of it as I go in the other lane

Would a traclock or a full locker help? What about rear shocks? Could I run adjustable competition engineering drag shocks and still drive on the street? Right now it has the Napa sensitracs with the coilovers in the rear and 3/4 front swaybar and 1/2 rear.
Oh, what broke was a nut on one of the rocker arm studs pulled off and rocker arm flew off and lifter fell into the valley. Ran a 16.6 on 7 cylinders.
Thanks for any suggestions
Tracy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I actually ment richmond powertac or or full locker
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
You need a set of slicks. You can do whatever you want to the suspension, but until you install a set of drag tires, you're just spinning your wheels.

A set of Mickey Thompson 26x8.5 slicks would be perfect for you car. The short diameter won't kill the gear ratio, and that size is good for running consistent 11's. They also fit small wheelwells.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put in some new clutches in my 9 in. & only got about 60+ runs using slicks fried the clutches. I'm now going detroit locker.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Detroit Locker and slicks.
A lot of my buddies have run either ford tracs or auburns... and they have all broken at the track. Its an expensive repair, not to mention it ruins your day at the track

I love my locker even on the street... especially when it rachets around a corner and scares the pedestrians

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do go Detroit locker, I'm also (which I had planned anyway) going to get a set of Moser axles for the car, of which they quoted me $415 with bearings and all.
Would this hold together well or should I be looking at just building a 8.8 or a 9"?
Thanks again
Tracy

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The 8 inch should handle your combo pretty easily but if you think you ever might step it up you might consider doing a 9 inch and just doing it once..Sticky tires are by far the best performance parts I ever put on my car.I don't even want to drive it at the track on radials anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts