Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I prime the oil pump? How soon should it be done before start up? How important is this?

How do I prime the fuel system? I know turning the key on will prime the pump, but what abut air in the lines? will it purge out automatically or should I hold a schrader valve open?
I don't want to crank the motor for an extended period of time if I don't have to.

Should I re-torque the heads after it gets hot? or wait till it cools off again? Should I even bother?

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think you can put a 5/16 socket on an extension chucked in a drill turning counter clockwise to prime the engnine. Do it just before you plan to start the engine.

You should not have to prime the fuel system, because it has a return line with a fuel regulator. Turn the key on listen for the fuel pump to run then stop running. The system is primed then.

Retourquing the heads depends on the type of head, head gasket and bolts. If they are stock cast iron you probably don't need to retorque, if the engine has torque to yeild head bolts then make sure you buy new ones, you should only torque torque to yeild bolts once.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wdflarity on 3/19/02 11:13am ]</font>

·
Registered
413 Posts
By turning the key off an on a couple of times it will purge the air and bring the fuel right to the injectors. THat way it should start right up. Just use a drill on the oil pump shaft. I took an old dist. and removed the gear and welded a bolt to the top of the shaft where the rotor goes. THat is easier, that way you don't have to worry about losing a socket in the motor.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL until you have at least 500 miles on the motor. After the first 500 miles, change oil and filter and add synthetic then if you are wanting to go that route.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Go to Google or your fav search engine: type in "engine break-in" There is a ton of info there,read it before you fire it up. GM EOS is a must for flat tappet cams use 2 pints!!!!!!!!!! use straight 30w for the initial break-in,change oil and filter after the 30 min break in and then after 500 miles and every 3000 thereafter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If he is running a roller cam he shouldn't need to do the 20 minute 2000rpm bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts