Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 05'GT in the shop for a nitrous installation this week. The tune produced a 276.69hp and 292.52tq. With the nitrous it produced 361.19hp and 369.88tq.

My question is, How good are these numbers? The car is an automatic with a cold air kit and cat back magnaflow system and now nitrous. What would I expect to see with with pulleys, charge motion plates and an off road X pipe? How close to the limits of the stock block would I be? I have read the 4.6 block will only handle about a 50% increase in hp?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
300 hp stock x 1.5 = 450 hp. Looks to me like you still have about 100 to go.......................More Seriously some guys are making in the 600-700 hp with stock 4.6 blocks, they are pretty stout. Your dyno numbers appear to be pretty close as what to expect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-04-13 08:48, Lambbo2003 wrote:
I had my 05'GT in the shop for a nitrous installation this week. The tune produced a 276.69hp and 292.52tq. With the nitrous it produced 361.19hp and 369.88tq.

My question is, How good are these numbers? The car is an automatic with a cold air kit and cat back magnaflow system and now nitrous. What would I expect to see with with pulleys, charge motion plates and an off road X pipe? How close to the limits of the stock block would I be? I have read the 4.6 block will only handle about a 50% increase in hp?

·
Registered
399 Posts
FYI: the block is not the weak link, it's the rotating assembly. In particular the cracked, powdered metal rods = junk. 400 rwHP is the approximate max., so it sounds like you've got a safe tune.

The pistons would be the next weak link as they (and the crank) are cast pieces.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Does the Cobra engine use different crank/rods? I've seen numerous mags doing supercharger/turbo tests making well in excess of 800hp(!) and they never threw a rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts