Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 ford galaxie with a 347 (afr 185's,trick flow stage 3 cam,approx.10:1 comp,performer rpm intake,650 holley dp,harland sharp rockers) c-4 trans with 4500 stall and trans brake,4:11 gears and m/t et street radial.
I ran wild street at the nmra event and ran 3 back to back runs the first run was the best which was a [email protected],2nd [email protected] and the 3rd was [email protected] I know that my car ways in at 3920lbs with me in it but I was looking for a little better times than these.
my question is would a 750 carb and tunning such as timing make very much difference?

1st. run
60'..1.85
1/8..8.447
mph...80.80
1/4...13.369
mph...98.93

·
Registered
991 Posts
4k lbs is alot of iron

·
Registered
865 Posts
What rear end gears ?? How high can you rev it up ??The 750 only helps above 6000 RPM, It sounds like you need way more gear. JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4:11 gears,(28" tall tires)6500 rpm
would going to 26" tall tire make much of a difference?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 9/4/06 9:36am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 9/4/06 9:41am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Man I am impressed myself, low 13's with a big car like that and less than 350 cubes?

I wouldnt cry too loud

·
Registered
522 Posts
Drop the performer intake and run a Torker OR Victor junior.That cam is too big for a Performer intake!You will pick up et and mph!May try a 750 carb also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ran347nosgt on 9/4/06 11:08am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
How's the suspension setup?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
probably about 300 hp at the rear wheels .... 400-450 hp at crank is most you could expect, in street tune for N/A 347. Seems like you are getting your money's worth to me.

You can adjust your trap rpm by droping tire diameter...if you are below horsepower curve at the top end. Your "leave" technique might could stand a little practice?

Without droping weight, high 12's - low 13's is what I would expect you to be running.

"Just Wild - ass guessing". your milage may vary.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I would go with the victory jr and a 750 carb. I have a stealth on my 408 and a 750 stage 3 from bigs, and It is holding back my 205's alot. The one thing I am seeing with the AFR heads is that they flow very well vs other heads. I imagine with a vc jr or spr vic jr and a 1050 dominator on my motor, and it would put out over 600 HP at the crank. It seems to me like you have that engine choked down for street use though. So if you wanna speed up at the track trade out the intake and carb.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What RPM are you trapping at? somewhere just above 5K? More gear should help if you are making peak power around 6K, but I agree with the others; I don't see a problem with the times considering the weight. There is definitely power to gain if the carb/timing/intake are not optimal.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What is the timing curve currently at? That's a lot to get moving! Also one good looking machine!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On 2006-09-03 18:27, BIGJOE wrote:
What rear end gears ?? How high can you rev it up ??The 750 only helps above 6000 RPM, It sounds like you need way more gear. JOE SHERMAN RACING
I can't argue with Mr. Sherman. But, I am curious about this. Is this in regards to the combo in a heavy car or just your experience in general?

What boosters? I'd think a properly done 750 dp would help before 6k rpm on this type of motor. I'd love to learn more details.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a 650 on a 302 and now i run a 750 it mad a big difference. The motor would law down and die at the top end of second gear.I shift at 5500 rpm , the motor would not rev above 4 grand after second gear. But no problems now. I use a 750 dp with a proform ceter body.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here are some pictures I snapped at the track for you 347LX. It was getting dark, so they might be a little blurry. I had to shrink them down to fit on the board here, but I have the full size ones if you want me to email them to you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am trapping at just above 5k,IM launching the car at 4500 with a trans brake,I have leaf springs with comp eng. slappers,trunk mounted battery.I dont think traction was a issue.
I understand this car is heavy but i think i should be running high 12's not 13's
By the way thanks for the compliment 289nate!!!
I running ceramic coated shorties with 1 5/8 primaries straight into 3" exhaust with 3" flomaster dumped under the car.
Everyone is suggesting a victor jr. what about a parker funnel web???????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 9/4/06 11:07pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 347LX on 9/4/06 11:13pm ]</font>

·
Registered
862 Posts
In my opinion definately ditch the intake and go with a Vic Jr.... I also think that the cam you are running has way too much of a split duration... heads with a good intake/exhaust flow ratio don't need 12* more exhaust duration... I might have missed it, but what headers are you running?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think those are very respectible times. My buddy has a 66 coupe mustang w/ 347 stroker, same heads and simialr gears and stall. He runs 12.01 @112, but this is in a 2850lb car. I've always heard every 100lbs is worth a tenth. 12's would be awesome in your ride though, looks great, dad had a turquoise green vert. back in the day..

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Seems to me your trapping about 1000 rpm's to low for that combo. The rpm intake is not the greatest but I don't think it's your biggest choke point. As others have said the 650 is choking it.My BB Gal traps at 5250 with 4.11's and 27" meats.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
You've got a great combo. Those times for 347ci in your battleship isn't bad at all!

You probably now know that you should have started with a 351W stroker. 408ci would be really handy in getting that big car moving.

You can throw money at the existing engine, or start saving up for the bigger engine. I would enjoy what I have and start saving... as that small engine is only going to do so much in streetable form pushing 4000 lbs.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts