Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I went to the track the other night and with my new c4 .I was able to get the car to run 11.71 at 115 with a 1.69 60ft.I know there is a lot left in her.I always ran a stick so this is new with the c4.My question is .I need to get the car to 60ft better.I have a c4 with a 9"1/2 converter that flashes to about 4,000 originally it was suppose to flash to 4,500 but Im not seeing that.When i would leave the line off an idle it only flashed to 3,000 but if I brought the rpms up to about 2,500 it would flash to about 4,000 that is when I got the 1.69.i have caltracs and have them adjusted like it says in the instructions any ideas besides sending the converter back to get restalled.
Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I was shifting the car at 6,500 and mph in the 1/8 was 93mph. i think the car should 60 ft in the high 1.5s to the low 1.6s.My guy that did the machine work for the 331 feels the car should go 11.40s.he advised me to step up to 1"3.4 headers and upgrade to a electric fuel pump.When I go for new headers.I see that ford powertrain and accufab make a header for the windsor jr.Do the fit them whith the sparkplug being so close to the exhaust port?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, the accufabs will fit... kinda. Depending on your motor mounts. If they are stock, they'll fit. Otherwise, you'll have to do some tweaking.
Definately go with the electric fuel pump... IMO, it will make a ton of difference. My car was like a new car with the electric (mallory 110) over the mechanical, especailly at full throttle at high RPM's.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Are you power braking that engine? run the rpm up to 3500 and then back it off a tiny bit - when you want to launch stab the gas and sidestep the brake. That converter should flash good and your 60 foot times will come down. If you don't already you should put on the biggest tranny cooler you can find! How much wheel spin are you getting? if it is recognizable you need to get fatter tires.
Paul

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thordane How about racepumps.com they have a mechanical pump that says is very equal to an electric pump.I most likely will go with an electric pump,Im sure it will help on the topend.I dont feel the car nozzing over but Im sure its at its limit.Thanks for the header comment.

Paul,I tried footbraking it to about 2,800 anymore and i thought i might push through the lights.the car then left at about 4,000 with a 1.69.During the winter Iam going with disc brakes up front and bigger heaers and switch over to an electric fuelpump.Speaking with my guy that did my engine work.He feels I need to upgrade the fuel and bigger headers and once that is done go with a custom carb.I know I might have to loosen up the converter ,I also might switch to a transbrake before sending the converter back.T he car drives very well the way it is now.I just want to get as much out of it I can.Also Iam running 4:11 in the rear If I went with a bigger gear say 4.30 or 4.56.Im sure that would help also.What do you think?I am also running a b&m cooler with braided lines
Thanks for both of your help
John

·
Registered
502 Posts
what rear tire size? what rpm are you thru the traps? if 6500 seems to be your best shift point then that's about what you should go past the finish at in the 1/4 mile.

keep in mind that increasing the rear gear ( i.e. going from 4.10 to maybe 4.56) on a footbrake car will decrease the stall of the converter.

cooler is a good thing, but at least 2 trans companies strongly suggest not to use braided on the cooler lines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 11/12/06 7:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
1 3/4" is pushing it for a 331 - affraid you will lose some bottom end torque and those 331 don't really make much to begin with.Buddies 12.5 to 1 331 made 535 hp @ 7000 and 429 tq at 5500 and runs 10.66 @ 126 in a ruffly 2860 lb car. More stal will help at both lines.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was shifting the car at 6500 and I was going through the traps at 6,500 and Im using a 26" tall slick.When I shifted the car at 6,800 I went through the traps at 6,500 also.I also thought that it might be do to my mechanical pump on the topend becasue at the 1/8 I went faster by 1mph.

·
Registered
502 Posts
if you go to 4.30 or 4.56, your trap rpm will go up, too. maybe more than you want it to.

your trap rpm stayed the same because your speed stayed the same. changing shift points may or may not change trap speed, depending on the hp the car "sees".

rwhp & weight determine 1/4 mi speed. how efficiently you apply it to the track determines et.

·
Registered
502 Posts
you didnt mention how the higher shift points affected the et. what happened?

this is just my personal feeling. put the largest tire you can under the car. should possibly be a 28" tire. then put the correct rear gear in the car for your mph & rpm. then have the converter adjusted for the combo. just a suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts