Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm building my first 351. I just found out about figuring out the correct pushrod length (in the previous post)... Are there any other crucial things I should know bout building up my first engine???

I know about finding the correct bearing sizes, timing the cam right, breaking the engine in, and now finding the correct pushrod length..

Anything else cruicial??

Chris

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Chris ...

I documented my entire 351C 4V build ... It is all available on the Internet from my home page.

20 pages of narratives on what I did and why I did it ... Naratives include: one on "Parts Selection" and another on "Assembly & Installation"

Complete parts beakdown of everything I used for the build including brand, part number, supplier and cost It's all there.

BTW ... This was my first engine rebuild too ... That's why we documented it ... For guys like us

·
Registered
407 Posts
Before you do one more thing, buy and read cover to cover...."The Step by Step Guide to Engine Blueprinting" by RICH VOEGLIN.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Check everything! Measure it, look at it, and check it again. I am really getting tired of paying good money for parts that I have to modify to fit. This trick new billit timing pointer is the last part I had to rework. It was only off by 30 degrees!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Eastwood company has a video that work through an engine rebuild. It is generic, but, it does cover the basics, and the mechanic gives tips and stresses certain aspects that are usually overlooked.

I recommend this because it reenforces good work practices.

Also, have your recipe complete prior to starting. That is, know what you want, i.e. type pistons, cam heads, dis-dat and the other thing.
And have it inplace, written down, scheduled, etc... It's okay to make changes, but knowing what you want at the start makes the entire process move smoother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts