Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a first time Falcon owner. I've a 1968 falcon Futura and need as much info as possible. I am currently a tech at a college auto dept. I am learning quite a bit in the last month about the car, I bought it for my wife and she loves it. I will be restoring it but need to know some things...

What type of brake booster would fit?

What is the gear ratio for the differential?

How do you change the diff fluid?

Can you use liquid gasket on the transmission instead of a typical gasket?

How do you fix a turn signal that falls into left turn all the time? I don't know if its a detent or if it can be adjusted.

How do you adjust the shift linkage? the car wants to pop out of Park frequently.

Thanks for your time and any and all help!
Chuck henderson

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a first time Falcon owner. I've a 1968 falcon Futura and need as much info as possible. I am currently a tech at a college auto dept. I am learning quite a bit in the last month about the car, I bought it for my wife and she loves it. I will be restoring it but need to know some things...

What type of brake booster would fit?

What is the gear ratio for the differential?

How do you change the diff fluid?

Can you use liquid gasket on the transmission instead of a typical gasket?

How do you fix a turn signal that falls into left turn all the time? I don't know if its a detent or if it can be adjusted.

How do you adjust the shift linkage? the car wants to pop out of Park frequently.

Thanks for your time and any and all help!
Chuck henderson

Here are several things i can tell you..... Liquid gasket yes but i would not recommend it... Silicone is more for oil pans and water pumps.

As for diff fluid it should be a giant housing with bolts on the back that is bolted on the diff.. You have to drain it... some diffs have a bolt in it where you can fill it. As for the turn signals there should be a cam for that... Inside the wheel.

The rest i will do research on and get back to you if that helps.

UPDATE: i just remembered you can find all your parts here on this site www.Dearbornclassics.com

Here is the link for break boosters.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/cat...8&search_model_id=112&q=brake+booster&x=0&y=0

Here is your cam for your T/S

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/67-71-turn-signal-cam-kit.html

Autozone may also sell you seals for what you need they special order things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can get pretty close on the differential gear ratio by jacking up the rear end put in on jack stands block it and put in neutral - see how many revolutions you get on the wheels for every revolution of the drive shaft. One rev on the drive shaft and three on the wheels would be a 3.00 rear end - one rev on drive shaft and 3 1/4 on the wheel would be 3.25 etc..

Also the next to last number or letter in your VIN code will tell you that the gears were out of the factory if you have a shop manual or can search the VIN.

If your 68 has a 8” rear end I have a couple 3rd members that fit my 65 if you are looking to change the gearing not sure about 68 rear end. I have a 2.80 and will have a 3.80 3rd member/pumpkin soon as I am going to a 3.25 rear end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've found the drain plug, I have a dearborn classics catalog, thank you very much :) and I've got the timing set. I'm slowly removing and painting engine parts and detailing the car. I will be replacing quarter panels and floor boards soon. I really like this car and my wife is helping me work on her every day. I found some turn signal cams for about ten dollars also. Unfortunately the heater tube from the manifold to the choke has broken so I'll be replacing that also. I'm looking for tires, 195/75 r14 roughly, I'd like to go bigger but can't afford different rims at the moment. Turns out the original tag is still on the Diff stating a 2.97 ratio if memory serves me correctly.

I changed all the fluid and ended up making a trans gasket out of cork gasket material. I'm still having trouble with my park/neutral switch but that will come soon I suppose. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could use a new dash, I am doing the car in that color blue anyhow. Recently the car started leaking power steering fluid and started a small fire on the manifold but thankfully nothing was damaged. Car is down for repairs. I've primered the whole thing gray and saving up for a paint job from Maaco. I'm thinking acapulco blue.

As for the dash... how much? I live in Maryland so I don't know what the shipping costs, etc would be. Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Chuck,
Welcome to the wonderful world of "Big Birds", which is the common nickname for 66 - 70 Falcons !
68 to early 70's Falcons were built on the Fairlane platform and while this does make them a bit bigger, it also allows us to utilize quite a few Fairlane-Torino-Ranchero parts. This really helps as since our year Falcons have not typically been as popular as earlier years, there still isn't a ton of stuff repopped as for earlier years, although more and more every year stuff is being remade as our year Falcon become more popular.
I would suggest getting the following catalogs: Macs Antique Auto Parts: Falcon and Fairlane , Dennis Carpenter and Dearborn Classics. Those are the 3 companys that offer the broadest selection of repopped parts for us.
Also, I would also do some poking around over on www.tffn.net Its a Falcon and Comet specific forum with alot of good folks, just like here. Some people find it hard to get along with the site owner but Ive had no problems with him.

One other thing, I just reposted a 1966 to early 1970 interchange for you to take a look at.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/falcon-pages/510279-1966-early-1970-falcon-interchange.html

Regards, Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok some updates, I'm removing the rusted panels for replacement; I just finished fighting with the power steering hose replacement and won. I need to diagnose the sending unit/gas gauge I'm not sure which is failing but the gauge reads a max of half tank. I'll need to put tires and a floor pan before the Cumberland MD car show on Labor day but its coming together quite well so far. A lot cheaper than I though it would be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.