Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time no post, but i finally made it to the track in my 400 powered 75 chero. Laid sown a [email protected] 105.47 mph with a 1.80, 60 ft

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
:tup: That's movin' for a big '75. What worked well and what didn't?

David

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the overall package worked great. 400 mated to a rollerized reverse manual c4, 4.10 posi, 275/60/15 bfg drag radicals, 2500 stall, shifting @ 6 grand.
It goes straight down the track with near zero input.
I was told 1.80 is a respectable 60 time, but my only complaint is I feel my converter is too tight. I think i could come off the line a little harder. I was pretty surprised when I didn't spin off the line, where on the street I would have my hands full of steering wheel correcting the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
You're getting way more traction at the track, especially on drag radials but I'm a little surprised you aren't getting wheel spin with that light rearend. I agree, 1.8 60ft is pretty good for a car that heavy.

It sounds like you've got the suspension and steering dialed in with it running so straight. I wish my Falcon did that. The one and only 1/4 mile pass I've made with the new motor the car was a handful to say the least.

What's done to the 400?

John

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this should bake your noodle then. The suspension is completely stock, minus some coils I cut out front and rear. The steering is the power steering minus the power(pump)
The 400 has stock replacement Keith black pistons @.030 over, block decked .010, arp hardware through out, cam is .544 lift 228 duration 108 lsa, edelbrock performer rpm heads, rpm airgap intake, hooked comp headers, 750 demon carb.
This time was the best of only two runs I made and actually my best time I posted, was the first run where i dis not try to load the converter, but flash it. The second run i tried to load it a bit and spun hard through first and got a 2.1 60'-13.1 et @ 104.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I think the overall package worked great. 400 mated to a rollerized reverse manual c4, 4.10 posi, 275/60/15 bfg drag radicals, 2500 stall, shifting @ 6 grand.
It goes straight down the track with near zero input.
I was told 1.80 is a respectable 60 time, but my only complaint is I feel my converter is too tight. I think i could come off the line a little harder. I was pretty surprised when I didn't spin off the line, where on the street I would have my hands full of steering wheel correcting the vehicle.
Just wondering if you did a burnout before that pass?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I did. Started em I'm first, brought up to about 5 grand, clicked second up to about 4 grand for about 2-4 seconds

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It's amazing what the right gearing and tires will do. To compare, I'm making pretty good power in my Falcon, probably 450+ HP and it weighs 3050 lbs. I'm running 3.50 gears and 295/50-15 BFG Radial T/A's. Okay on the street under normal driving but punch it and forget about traction. In fact I've never nailed it from a complete stop. I like standing on it at about 20-30 MPH and seeing long black marks in the mirror!

At the drags I went around the water and did a very short dry hop. I left really easy and could only roll into it until what seemed like almost half track and it still spun through 1st and half way into second. Once I got it rolling along the cars front and rear suspensions started having an arguement 'cause it was bobing and weaving like a middle-weight boxer. the tail was wagging side to side and the steering being a little loose made keeping it down the middle was a bit scary. I've done some changes since then and it seems much better but until I get some drag radials I'm staying away from the track.

I ran a 13.50 @ 107. I was hoping for a lot better but traction is the key and as you know the first 60ft are the most important. You did good!

John

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Any idea how much the car weighs?..Sounds like you had a pretty good first trip to the track with it..You do know this stuff is addicting right?. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts