Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my buddies house again, the one that spilt coolant in the oil pan, and he was working on his carb. He tried to start his truck up, but a big flame shot out from the carb, then a small brief fire ensued. What happened?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sounds like a timing problem,ignition fires when an intake valve is open and pow the explosion goes right back up and out the carb.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I agree, timing or valves. I was messing with a new carb, and had also taken out the distributor, got it back in, was running really shitty idle. I reached over to give it a bit of gas, and it backfired, throwing flames about 4' in the air. Just make sure the dist is in ok, and if not, its probably a sticking valve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That happened to someone I know (not me really) and they had the distributer in completely wrong - wasn't that exciting?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Same thing happened to me 2 summers ago. I was doing the cam, heads, and intake on a 289 for the first time. When I put everything back together, I had the rockers tightened WAY too much, and had the distributor 180 degrees off as well. Sunofabitch backfired like hell, neighbors ran out of their homes thinking a bomb went off, saw it was me, and walked back in their homes shaking their heads.
My mom ran out, and saw my dad and me on the ground, and thought we were dead. But we were really laughing our asses off because the backfire totally scared the crap out of us.
Rotated the dist 180, tried starting again, and pops told me to give it some gas. Boom, flames out the carb at least a foot and a half, then a steady 8-10 inch flame. Almost had a heart attack. By this time, my mother was outside, and both she and my dad flipped and are yelling at me to get away from my car. I stick my head under the hood, and start blowing on the carb! Fire went out, realized I was a moron, re-adjusted the rockers, started right up.

Sorry for being long, but that's my favorite "mis-adventures of the hot-rodding mechanic" stories. Oh well.

Rice is only good for one thing...
...but I can't think of it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thecougarguy on 3/3/02 1:57pm ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts