Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flat tire on my dolly , looked and tire is just dry rotted and split. First thought get a new tire for plugging the split out of the question. In my car trailer I had put a tool that needed to be put somewhere else but seeing it came an idea. It is a tool you place cans of foam in to shoot inside cracks of walls in homes. I build houses and thats what I use to fill with. You can buy the cans at lowes and use without the gun , Anyway I stuck the nossile into the split of tire and shot that sucker full of foam. Forgot about it till later and as I went by I stepped on tire and it was hard as a brick, so I investigated closer. Dag solved my flat tire problem forever on that dolly. My lawn mower leaks down at times, gona make a hole and fill those suckers up as well. Got a flat small tire? You fill it up like that , no more worrys.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I had a flat tire on my dolly , looked and tire is just dry rotted and split. First thought get a new tire for plugging the split out of the question. In my car trailer I had put a tool that needed to be put somewhere else but seeing it came an idea. It is a tool you place cans of foam in to shoot inside cracks of walls in homes. I build houses and thats what I use to fill with. You can buy the cans at lowes and use without the gun , Anyway I stuck the nossile into the split of tire and shot that sucker full of foam. Forgot about it till later and as I went by I stepped on tire and it was hard as a brick, so I investigated closer. Dag solved my flat tire problem forever on that dolly. My lawn mower leaks down at times, gona make a hole and fill those suckers up as well. Got a flat small tire? You fill it up like that , no more worrys.
I've done that to lawnmowers, ATVs, and other small tires.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The low expansion version would probably work best as it seems to be more rubbery. The more rigid foams will turn to powder with any load on the tire, or rolling over uneven terrain. Remove the valve core and fill through there, and rotate wheel to evenly distribute the foam. It should work fine, for a while at least.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Foam is mostly air... As the tire rolls, the foam will quickly break down... and pretty soon, you'll be right back where you started. :)

Might be a decent short term fix, but that's it at best.

Good Luck!
You must of done it before to know when it will break down. I sujest next time you use the exspensive kind to last longer. If mine goes down then I will shoot some more into the tire again. Still hard as a rock. :)

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
You must of done it before to know when it will break down. I sujest next time you use the exspensive kind to last longer. If mine goes down then I will shoot some more into the tire again. Still hard as a rock. :)
I haven't used it in a tire, but have used that expanding foam on other things. I guess, the less weight you have on it, and the softer the ground it's running on... the longer it will last. :)

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts