Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to fire my friends 49 Flathead engine (in a 46 pickup) Anything we need to do, or watch for?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Not particularly, Same ole same ole as any other Ford engine., providing the valves were adjusted before you buttoned it up.

Ray

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sweet! I've got one still in my '41 pickup.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For hints, tricks, tips and all-round flathead knowledge, go to fordbarn.com then click on 'earlyV8 forum'. Everything you need to know and then some!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost there. Got it to cough a bit, but I think we need to hook up a 12volt to the battery to really get it to turn over. The 6v system is a little weak. Hopefully we'll get it to fire in the next cple of days

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sounds like valve and dist. timing is off. Have you pulled the dist and checked the drive gear? You may have to pull the front cover and check the cam gear for proper aleignment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
To check ignition timing, just hook up a timing light and crank it over while watching the marks just as if it was running. If cam timing is off very much compression will be way down. Another check is cranking vacuum-back out the idle speed screw and hook a vacuum gauge to a port on the intake manifold and crank it over. It should pull sveral inches of vacuum. Or, the quick-and-dirty method: Just lay your hand over the top of the carb while it's cranking. It should try to suck your hand in. This will flood it real good, however. Make sure the plugs are clean and dry. Gas fouled plugs will let the spark just run down the center insulator instead of jumping the gap. If the plugs look/smell wet or are black, try a new set. Flathead ignition coils aren't that powerful to start with.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Success!! Got it to fire and ran for about 5 minutes. started it two more times with no problems. Thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts