Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a freind wanting a conversion done on 52 ford. Wants flathead out & FE in, is trans bellhousing pattern the same?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
most likely not. Dropping in a C6 shouldn't be to hard. I've seen a modern mustang 5.0 and 5 speed get dropped into a 50 business coupe.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
What are you trying to save? the cost of a bell housing, reuse the non-syncro tranmission Or an early 2 speed automatic?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The Flathead 3-speed trans has the same bolt pattern as the early FE bellhousings. I had a T-10 4-speed from a 62 Galaxie bolted in a 52 Ford car. You can use a FE bellhousing from 58-64.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yes they work. Did that many-many years ago. Iff'n you can find one there were some FE bellhousings with eight holes used up to about 1970. These have both patterns on them. Most produced after 1964 had the wide pattern though.

Overall, your biggest problem may be the alignment of the pedals for linkage. You do have pedals through the floorboards? I seem to remember we had minimal amount of throwout bearing clearance, for the stroke on the flathead and the big V-8 was different. Had to bend and re-weld something back then. No longer have the car, but then didn't have much $$ then either and the welding seemed to really cost us then.

Wm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All FE's used the same bellhousing pattern, it is the flywheel (or flexplate), starter and bellhousing that changed that year. You could use the earlier bellhousing with the later starter and flexplate, but not the other way around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts