Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have just installed my c4 into my 66 mustang and looks like there is next to no clearance on the engine backing plate. Turned the engine over and sounds like the weight is scraping the plate. Maybe I have the wrong flex plate. Not sure if some are interchangeable . Just wonder if all weights on them are as big.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have to pull the backing plate again. I should have checked to see it it was straight before install. :( If the flex plate is a 28oz imbalanced unit

·
Registered
100 Posts
Years ago I had the same sound when turning it over, in my case it was the threaded studs not screwed in enough in my TCI torque converter. Backed the nuts off and turned them in another turn and was good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have something regarding the nuts, because I did change some out because the flange nuts looked bad. So they don't have that nice rounded tops. They may be hitting the plate...Bravo! I hope that is it . Not a lot of clearance between that balancing weight and the backing plate .

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Just don't adjust your nuts in public, please.
;)
David

PS: if you pull the flex plate, it will be obvious what's scraping with marks on the block plate. If it's too late for that, do the nut thing and cross your fingers first. A surprise for me - my local little hardware actually carries those nuts for some reason, and also grade 5 jam nuts that could work (use LockTite) - maybe check one near you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how much clearance there is between the flex plate weight and the engine block plate but the weight has placed a large scrub mark on the block plate. The block plate looks like it isn't perfectly straight. I am going to order a new one. Now the weight that is on the flex plate sticks up past the flat surface. I have no worries about the nuts now. It is the counter weight that may have been welded on with out checking the height. Sooooo...we now know my flange nuts are lower than the plate. This is a replacement , not an original . I may have to order one and check

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Make sure tbe converter is all the way in the trans and not pushing the flywheel into the plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did make sure the convertor was all the way in. When I took the nuts off, I could push it back off the flex plate with a screw on one of the tc studs.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ordered a new flex plate and engine block plate. Tired of guessing. The plate will not lay perfectly flat on the floor , so I believe it has a warp on it causing part of the issue. Scott Drake to the rescue :tup:

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was tempted ...lol :) Not much room for error between the two parts, and tired of being under the car

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Off topic - I have reported picerjamo as a SPAMmer. All his posts are cut-paste of other poster's words without any of his own so they're not immediately flagged as SPAM. Testing the system or fishing for reaction I guess, but in any case they are not of benefit to anyone. Report as you see fit with the button under his name on HIS post.

David

Demonstration of how old posts can be edited later to insert ads when admins and members aren't watching:

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I had a flex plate that was cracked near the mounting bolts. Would let it contact the backing plate. You could hear it while at Idle.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
picerjamo kinda threw me off. I had actually posted something on here and his name came up ...So how do we get this piece of **** off here
Thought I was loosing my mind ...lol Just checked and has him banned ...Nice work

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry to bud in here -foleysfriend but,
picerjamo is a spammer? what do you guys mean?
Spammer meaning he;s posting advertising?
when you say hes; cutting & pasting, like ads or what?
I;ve never understood what a "spammer" does or why?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
SPAMmers post junk just to have a way to place advertising links in their posts. They uselessly clutter our threads and take advertising dollars from the site sponsors and owners. They usually start on a forum without the ad links to both test the system, and to get past the first few posts where most forums will immediately ban them, as they watch newcomers carefully.

One way to make posts on forums that you have no knowledge about is to copy stuff from other member's posts and paste them in, hoping your camouflage works. Notice how it worked here, and I didn't see it until he posted in 3 of my threads. Nobody else did either. The technique works pretty well for them, and the longer they can keep posts up, the longer their ads stay, once they start posting with them. Lately I've seen a trend for them to go back and edit their old lame posts to insert the SPAM ads when nobody is watching, and the ads stay up for a very long time. That's all.

David

PS: as a demonstration, you didn't see the inserted ad in my last post - did you? But, the next guy researching how to fix his car will, and that's the point. ;)

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
He's gone now. I had to look at his posts too to see what you were talking about and saw he didn't have one post made by him personally they were all copy and paste from a previous poster.

Lke this actually by psig but I just copy and pasted a part of the post.

you didn't see the inserted ad in my last post

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Jeez, i understand, buggers .eh Must be money in for them
Not a great example but, i got a notice form Facebook, You have 6 messages awaitng your reply, all very official looking but, the address it came from
Opening it took me to - Are you having Erection problems - We can help!
Pic of very nice looking lady holding a phone in such a way i can;t believe she can hear anything, with the caption - "Call me"
I didn;t !

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
... Pic of very nice looking lady holding a phone in such a way i can;t believe she can hear anything ...
LOL! At least you can make SPAMming entertaining!

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts