Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are putting a 1989 5.0 from a lincoln with a HO roller cam and carb,C-4 26X26 spline. I beleave its the one year they made it 70 or 71, in a 94 ranger its going to be Street /Strip truck.We plan on using a 3000 stall converter.The question is ,I picked up a #FP-302 SR OD 13.30 157 tooth 28oz balance SFI flexplate.Do I need to change the harmonic balancer from the stock one and which bell housing should I look for will the one I have work?Thanks Mike SrPS the C-4 came from a montero I beleave.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think that you CAN NOT swap a 28oz balancer on a 50oz engine.
BAD BAD. The internal balance will get thrown off big time.
If you want to continue then you need a 28 oz crank and then have the whole reciprocating assy Re-Balanced

Yes I agree about the small bellhousing. Ive heard, Although not experienced, that the ranger swap is easier with the mustang ll Bell housing. Of course you need the stock Small 144 tooth Flexplate, and 9 3/8 bolt pattern converter to use that setup. (I must mention that no one Ive ever heard of offers anything other than stock for the flexplate.)

I have that setup in my 71 V8 pinto, However I had the Flexplate custom balanced to 50 oz to match the crank,balancer etc. If I did it over though i wouldve planned on a 28oz crank, etc assy to begin with.

5.0 block,B303,1.7 Rockers,beehives,'68 ported heads,Coated custom Must II headers,Edlb Airgap,Holley570,Msd Billet,Crane HI 6,Milodon 8 quart Deep Pan,2.5" 40 Flowmasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 9/17/06 12:01pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 9/17/06 12:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll just shelf the flexplate and go with the stock one.Unless some one can tell me the ford racing #s above work with the 50 oz factory balancer.I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts