Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have anything bad to say about these new aluminum floor jacks? The one I have is fine, but it is all steel and is a frickin tank! Im leary to use aluminum anything for weight bearing. It claims that it is usefull to two tons. Its a craftsman.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 12/17/06 9:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have a twin piston aluminum race jack and it works pretty good. I know what you mean about having anything weight bearing on them, but they seem to work fine. Of course using jack stands to support what you are working on is always the first thing I do once I have a vehicle in the air. The only thing I don't like is how fast they pump versus a steel floor jack which go up slower and take less effort to use.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I bought one of the Craftsman 2 ton aluminum racing jacks this past summer on the advice of a friend and love it! Lifting 44 lbs into the back of my pickup kicks the heck out of lifting 70 or so lbs of steel. The construction of these jacks is stout and while I use jack stands to support stuff, of course, these jacks are ever bit as strong as a steelie. I like the quick lift factor myself and it'll make tire changes at the track MUCH quicker. The only downside I've found if that if you tilt the jacks sideways....I do goofy stuff with floor jacks sometimes..
,, they occasionally get air in the cylinder and a quick bleed job is in order. Other than that, I can't see a single disadvantage to these and a bunch of advantages. If you're shopping for a new floor jack, I HIGHLY recommend the aluminum Craftsman!

Jan

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
on the aluminum ones...well i read the sears.com reviews and many folks had leaks and failures on the craftsman one and ALL the reviews were bad. many said leaks and no lift within a few uses or short time of owning one.

one guy said on another site that any cheap aluminum one wouldnt lift the weight it said it would. others say it wouldnt jack up and started to leak.

i have been searching for a good aluminum one too and seems that the single wheel front isnt good for safety unless you are on perfectly flat driveway....so the street may cause the jack to lean.

so i am looking for a 4 caster wheeled aluminum one that will last like my cheap steel china made one that has lasted me for ten years...some are saying that the aluminum ones use cheap internals except like 2 companies. and one is very expensive used for nascar etc. $1000 and up the other can be found on ebay (but not sure if it has a warrantee) for cheap but claims to have good internals and cater to the race industry since the mid 50's.

so i may risk it since they are cheap...but i do think that when it comes to aluminum ones the saying "you get what you pay for" applies.
but most likely i will just keep my old one for now til i find a 4 wheel one.

always use jack stands before getting under a car. a jack alone is not safe. i have heard first hand stories of cars falling on people.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I was looking at those for awhile, but wasn't satisfied with the lift height(in my price range) and I didn't like the roller up front. The reduced weight is a luxury and well, I guess I'm not use to that so I went with another steel 4ton jack which is a monster to get around. One of the best small jacks I've used is the Big Red. Very handy, strong, reliable and small.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
My Craftsman jack was purchased in May, and I just picked up a replacement. It started sucking air and puking fluid. The new one works good so far. I love the jack, use the hell out of it. It lifts loads just fine - I used it to level the old garage when I fixed it back in the summer. But I do suspect they have a quality issue. However, I can't afford some $400 jobber - so you gets what chew gets.

The 3 ton jobbie that I got at Harbor Freight for $30 on sale about 8 years ago still works really fine.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 12/20/06 11:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Aluminum Jacks are EXCELLENT for straight up and down applications!

But, DO NOT EVER, lift or raise anything that's not on a level plane you will TWIST it in a heartbeat... I've replaced parts on 3 diffrent Aluminum 2 and 3 ton Jacks this year, bent by someone lifting on an incline or an odd angle. The steel ones will handle most of that stuff no problem but the aluminum ones twist.

FE

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just got a 2 ton craftsman. I really like it. Brother-in-law has had one for about two years now and still loves it. Low profile, lite, and a good price.

Wonder if the people who complained and/or had problems read the directions which tell you how to bleed air out?

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
On 2006-12-19 22:37, 289nate wrote:
Wonder if the people who complained and/or had problems read the directions which tell you how to bleed air out?
Yes - including the "don't open more than 1/2 turn" for bleed down, and the first one still failed. I got to where you would have to purge it of air, then it would take 3-4 pumps after hitting the load before it started to lift. The ram would not fully retract after several lifts and when forced into the retracted position with your foot, it puked oil. Bleed, top off if necessary, work good for about 4-5 lifts, then start the cycle over again. It worked fine from May until early November. I wasn't going to put up with that from a $200 jack, so I made them exchange it. I called about an extended warranty and the person on the other end thought I was nuts.

That said, a friend at the track has one and has had it a while, works good. I'm hoping that I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mean to tell me if there is a crack in the garage floor that causes it to go a little crooked it will twist? Or how about on a little bit of a slope? I would think almost every driveway has a slope

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My son got me a Craftsman aluminum jack about two years ago and I love it.

My garage floor is pretty smooth concrete, has even been used as a dance floor a few times. Jack has performed very well with no problems whatsoever.

After reading these posts tho' I'm beginning to worry that it's about to fail.

Murff

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I mean if the thing rocks sideways you are likely to twist the aluminum frame, and distort it bad enough to need repair...

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Have to stay with my old trusty steel one. I welded handles on it to pull it around easier and beat the s$%t out of it. Heavy, yeah a little, but the 4 steel wheels will take unlevel surfaces easy.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
When I used mine to raise parts of the garage (in some places the joists in the building had to be raised over 12" ), the floor in that part was anything but level. I can see where a heavy vehicle at a decent angle could cause a problem. I've used mine in a lot of different situations, including on the sloped part of a trailer to lift the back half of a car with flat tires. No trouble with bending things yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 12/22/06 11:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-12-17 08:54, trukstopcowboy wrote:
on the aluminum ones...well i read the sears.com reviews and many folks had leaks and failures on the craftsman one and ALL the reviews were bad. many said leaks and no lift within a few uses or short time of owning one.
By the same token, how many people bother to rate products when they're perfectly satisfied? I never have. Other than the mentioned very occasional aeration problem, as I stated earlier I couldn't be happier. No leaks (yet), and I beat the h*ll out of a floor jack. I use 'em in mud, stack blocks on top of the tray, move cars with 'em by jacking up one end and shoving 'em over with a pipe plus do all of the other things you're not supposed to do..
I prefer the roller on these Craftsmen to casters because I do use mine outside and it pushes easier. The light weight does help me as 44 lbs doesn't aggravate my carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms and arthritis in my back nearly as bad. I travel with my truck and trailer racing and picking up cars, so the lighter the stuff to lift, the better.

The friend in NY who recommended I buy one had had his 2 years, took it to the dirt tracks with him, used it like I use mine and never had a problem. I don't forsee any with mine either. I do keep a couple of old steel "leakers" around my shop for when I need more than one floor jack. I dump in a little tranny fluid and they're good for several days.

Jan

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with the bad reviews comment. The only people who bother to post em are pissed. I was shopoing for microwaves on the Target website and every microwave they stocked had nothing but bad reviews. Seems like the only reviews that are somewhat objective online are the Amazon.com ones, and that is because they beg there cusotomers for reviews via email.

Most people, if satisfied, don't even think of it.

My two ton $50 Checker steel jack works fine, but not all of em have. They seem to be 50/50. Save the receipt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts