Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to the junk yard and found almost everything I need to convert my car to floor shift.

I found:
Shifter Hump
Rubber Boot
Upper Portion of the Steering Column

Are there any sites that detail how to do it, or does any body know how. The biggest part will be the wiring, I am not too worried about the linkage to the trans., as I am going to swap in a wide-ratio AOD when I do this.

The worst thing about that car I got the parts from is, it is a '75 Elite, that somebody put a 351C in and put the 351M valve covers on it; if I had room I would get the Cleveland. It's a shame to see another Cleveland go to the crusher.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The only wiring would be the neutral safety switch (NSS) and the reverse light switch. I'm not familiar where it would be on those cars. The NSS may be on the trans by shift linkage but some Fords it may be in the floor shifter ( FMX cars usually) . You may have to run jumper wires to the new locations for each application.Stu

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
If I remember right, the AOD has a safety, backup light switch that screws into the left rear of the trans' main casing. That's your only wiring and you can use a volt meter and move the shift lever to see which contacts talk to each other. Just go to the junkyard and get a AOD plug in from and old car. TAke the switch to and remeber what type of car it is and a wiring diagram for it will tell you the color codes.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I can use any shifter I can find? I figured I had to have the FMX shifter because of the neutral safety switch. But if I can use the plug on the AOD, which I got when I pulled the trans., that would be great.
Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Chris.

I wanted to verify some information here, and then comment.

You are going to install an AOD automatic into a 1973 Montego, and then you are going to convert it to floor shift at the same time.

The column parts, floor hump, and shifter assembly you plan to use in the conversion are from a period correct donor car, the Elite you mentioned.

If this is what you intend to do, you will have an issue to work through with the shifter.

I have done this conversion in the oposite direction. Late model 5.0 Mustang with an AOD, to C6 using the Mustang AOD shifter.

The issue is that the throw of the shift selector shaft that goes into the valve body on each transmission is different than the detent spacing on the shifters.

The D position on the Elite shifter will not have the transmission selector arm in the correct position inside the AOD valve body to properly direct fluid flow. It will in fact be half in, and half out of Drive.

I do not know why Ford did this. but all the early automatic floor shifters work properly on any C4, C6, and FMX transmissions, but they do not allign with the AOD detent patern which is a three position shifter like the others.

My solution worked, but it was far from optimal.

I took a cut off wheel and removed enough material to allow the the shifter to engage the selector in the valve body properly, but in doing so made the opening in the detent too large to secure the shifter properly in place.

In hind sight I should have transplanted the C6 shifter into the Mustang for the correct allignment, or in your case, I would suggest using an AOD shifter and cable in the Montego.

I hope this is relative to you question, and your project.

Best of luck. Mike Howard

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, that sounds good. It would take a little modififation/welding on the hump to mount the shifter to it, but that would work out much better than trying to match the detents perfectly with the old shifter. Maybe I can get a shifter out of a LSC or Mustang of the AOD vintage, and adapt it to the shifter hump.
Thanks for the ideas, Chris.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have a picture of the hump? I will (most likely) be switching from a column to a floor shifter soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is it minus the shifter:

In the vehicle, I didn't pull the carpet back, but you get the idea:

Hope this helps, Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts