Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what exhaust system to use to get the most out of the sound from my 390 FE? Is glass packs a good idea? If so, what would you recomend?

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
I have glass packs and like them! Other people do, too; I can see them smiling and thumbs upping when I pull away!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had cherry bombs on ours and the tail pipe came out in front of the back tire. WASN"T the sound I was after, My wife got me some LAKEPIPES for Christmas. Off with the bombs , hooked up the lakepipes (no muffler) hell yes they did ROAR, After driving her on a long trip thats all you heard was the ROAR.
After I decided to scrap the 63 merc. which had a new dual exhaust system under it. I took it out from under it and put it under the 63 Galaxie 500( NO MUFFLERS) It has that perfect tone now. I guess because they come out the back.
I've never used nothing but cherry bombs so I'm not going to judge them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Depends what sound your after. The cherry bomb type seam to have a raspyness to them, where a traditional muffler ex dynomax ultra flow/magna flow have a deeper tone. Also depends where the muffler is in the system.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Around here, everybody runs Flow Masters and Magana Flow. To me all the cars sound alike. They do not give the real sound of the engines. I want to disturb the peace., good old cherry bomps.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
I want to disturb the peace., good old cherry bomps.
I almost think that's the main purpose of those!! I prefer cherry bombs myself. Hear a lot of the magna flows and such but to me there's nothing like the nostalgic and real sound of the CBs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I'll probably go with cherry bomb mainly because of the price. If something else better comes up, I'd consider it, but for now, glass packs seem to be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
we put cherry bombs on my sons mark vii...my old one I had straight pipes and it sounded like a garbage truck or something...wasnt that loud, just didnt sound good at all. his car sounds better than my mustang- think the factory headers/4 cats/mid-mounted glasspacks with a somewhat restrictive(factory pips werent mandrel bent- that corrugated looking bends over the axle) tailpipes quiet it nicely, and it dont have that raspy smallblock sound that comes from short tailpipes after glasspacks...his car has a great sound and we had like 50 bucks in it :)

a buddy gave me a set of polished/stainless/glasspack magnaflows off his gt500 for my 06 mustang, they look nice, sound pretty good, but drone slightly right at 45mph in 4th on my little 4.6 - definitely made a little power difference, picked up 3 mph last time at the track. think he paid like 600 for those mufflers- NO WAY would I ever pay that much for a couple mufflers...freebies are cool, but it really amazes me they sell these things :)
his shelby sounded totally different thru them, with the bigger engine and x pipe, I like a non-x pipe sound a lot better- just wish the drone wasnt there.

on any bigblock, I always liked the old hushthrush or 'turbo' style mufflers with a h-pipe crossover, they sound good. the 396 I had in my old pickup had big old lincoln town car 2 1/2" mufflers, but was still a little odd sounding to me, I put cherrybombs on as resonators right after the mufflers, and just turndowns under the axle- it sounded neat, very LOW rumble, sounded very healthy... but the friggin exhaust weighed a ton :)

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Isay I have glasspacks but never cut em open. They don't don't raspy or pop on decel. Is there such a thing as a muffler that is shaped like a glasspack but isn't?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I put Thrush chambered mufflers on my 466 Gal with full length headers and 3" exhaust that turn down at the axle. I live about a mile from a State Patrol barracks and really don't need the extra attention when I get on it. Decided to replace the pipes from the Thrush with 27" Cherry Bombs, didn't seem to hurt the performance. It isn't quiet by any means but have had the police pull up next to me at a light with hardly more than a glance :).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I recently got a new exhaust custom made. 2.5" stainless steel duals with an h-pipe and tailpipes. Mufflers are glass packs (also custom made in stainless steel) and they sound mean! Not at all raspy. Just a very deep growl. The mullets are shaped like Cherry Bombs, which was part of my original plan. I thought the tailpipes would quiet things down but they didn't! This exhaust system is louder than the previous 2.25" system with Thrush chamber muffler cut before the axles.

Go for the Cherry Bombs! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Everyone has their 'sound' they like. I do not like hollow, tinny or raspy, and will trade volume for deep rumble if necessary. Glasspacks are a nice sound to me if an H-pipe is used. Without one, they sound like any pimp's stock engine with loud mufflers, going blap..blap..blap. That's me. I have 'packs on my streeter, and straight-through glasspacked ovals on my other stuff (Ultra-Flow, Magnaflow). A bit quieter, but a nice deep chest-vibrating rumble.

I will say however, if using tube-type baloney glasspacks, get them larger than your pipe size and use pipe adapters if necessary. Classic glasspacks are often fairly restrictive to flow with internal necking and louvers. Going larger I.D. will be a bit louder, but less restrictive so you don't lose performance. Try to get a perforated core instead of louvers - louder but fee-flowing. If you get louvers, run them backwards for better flow (openings toward rear). Again, this method is louder. HTH

David

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone tell me what exhaust system to use to get the most out of the sound from my 390 FE? Is glass packs a good idea? If so, what would you recomend?
Just say :no: to chambered mufflers..

get a cherry bomb, dynomax etc... chambers make that droning burble that's not really the real sound of the engine... might as well duct in a tuba you know?

The only mufflers i'd run on any V8 (anything really) are Straight through, or S turn mufflers...

It just so happens that these types usually flow the most per size of pipe and make the most power at high rpm.

But they also sound like the car is supposed to. correct cadence, no resonance just a quieter version of what the dumps sound like. (my plan is 3" dynomax super turbos behind 3.5"collectors to electronic dumps)

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and my findings were Chambered mufflers perform better than Turbo mufflers and, don't turn louvered glasspacks around because it causes turbulence and they burn out quickly.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and my findings were Chambered mufflers perform better than Turbo mufflers and, don't turn louvered glasspacks around because it causes turbulence and they burn out quickly.:)
what size piping are you using/ how much hp are you making and how nasty is your cam??

and did you account for altered timing when you did your research?

Basically it really depends on the application if you put dual 3" chambered mufflers on anything up to 400-450hp @ roughly 1.5-1.75 cfm/hp (2.5 is less, and 2 even more so) you're exactly right the huge chambers flow fine... but as airflow/back pressure climbs and with ANY forced induction the resonance gets out of control and the flow "backs up" behind the baffles...

basically it's two completely different shaped flow curves as one creates turbulent flow through a huge chamber while the other tries to maintain uniform flow through a typical pipe diameter... I wouldn't say one is linear and one is exponential because that would be wrong... they're both exponential... just chambered mufflers have a steeper slope.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
466" (385) 500 horsepower, long tube headers, 2" tubes, 4" collectors, 3 1/2" x 18" collector extensions reduced to 3" exhaust. Have been on forums like this one and read posts and by those who have had different exhaust systems and posted questions about their experiences. Went on muffler sites to get their input. The best info I got was from the Big Block Ford (429-460) forum. Also have a friend with a performance oriented muffled shop (35 years). Since most people on this thread were talking about performance oriented street cars and are on some kind of a budget.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I did a lot of research before I did my exhaust and my findings were Chambered mufflers perform better than Turbo mufflers
As stated by another, there are a number of variables to contribute to a specific answer, but if you take dyno testing as a basic measure - it is rare for chambered mufflers to perform better than straight-through mufflers on virtually any engine combo. Quite rare. Also, the classic "Turbo" mufflers were chambered mufflers. These days, it could mean anything.
and, don't turn louvered glasspacks around because it causes turbulence and they burn out quickly.:)
Ah, I know that one is urban legend, as I was curious why that was when I heard that myself many years ago. A magazine did flow testing and found it to be false. As part of a mid-summer curiosity (boredom) project, I tested with my flow meter and a 2-1/2 x 18 louvered glasspack (Purple Hornie IIRC). It flowed markedly better with the louvers facing back, just as the magazine found.

Second, I have not tested the reversed-burnout theory, however it makes no logical sense. The same temps and pressures being blown right into the packing (lovers forward) versus the flow skipping past the core holes and packing (louvers rearward) should favor the rearward mount. Of course, this is moot, as the same temps are the same temps, and both should burn-out equally if due to that anyway. If the theory was blowout (not burnout), then it would logically degrade faster with louvers forward. However, I have not tested any of the burnout theory, and I don't know of anyone who actually has. I don't know if it matters when the goal is noise anyway... ;)

David

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
David, could you summarize what you said? Thanks

1 - 20 of 46 Posts