Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.
Quick one about plugs.
Ive got flotech full lentgth headers on my 289, and when I put them on, I also put in new plugs, noticing that the plug hexes are right against the header flange, rendering removal impossible without header removal.
Well, fast forward five years, and time to get it back on the rode, Ide like to know:
although it runs great now, I know Im on barrowed time with these plugs. What other plug should I replace with so that I can get a socket on them?
I noticed 46's have a smaller hex(could be wrong). will they, or what other plug will work without removing the headers?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.....might look a little strange with the plugs sticking out another inch.
Another thought, I think it would be easier to relieve the header flange with a die grinder, since they have to come off anyways to get the old plugs out.
good to know those exist though. Ive got a 2 stroke seahorse 5 hp outboard from the 50's, and have tried to find plugs for it, but all I seem to find is plugs with the same id number, but reach is longer. Havent really looked that hard though. had it running in a barrel a couple years ago, and it died. I think the condenser went bad.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Accel makes compatible plugs for headers and they are shorter. Most auto parts have a cross. Other brands like Bosch to.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Accel makes compatible plugs for headers and they are shorter. Most auto parts have a cross. Other brands like Bosch to.

Yeah the plugs are really shorter so if OP used the adapters he could possibly cross ref a plug thats the same range and design (on the electrode end)

OP, That is the way I would handle the situation (die grind a relief in flange) if you have to remove the header anyways... Unless you can get enough "wiggle room" to just loosen the header and leave installed.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Angus, I can't believe your having that trouble with those Flowtech headers, I've got the same ones and I have plenty of clearance. Guess Flowtech needs to pay attention to there work.

I agree with Mr. OLD on this one....take the headers off and grind in some relief. I would tell Flowtech about your problem so they can fix this issue no telling how many others are having this same problem. I know flowtech could do a better job on the headers, like give the plugs and bolts more room for working on and certainly more room for linkage if you have a column shift like I do. There is more then enough room for these changes but they have to know before they can make them.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Another thought, I think it would be easier to relieve the header flange with a die grinder, since they have to come off anyways to get the old plugs out.

good to know those exist though. Ive got a 2 stroke seahorse 5 hp outboard from the 50's, and have tried to find plugs for it, but all I seem to find is plugs with the same id number, but reach is longer. Havent really looked that hard though. had it running in a barrel a couple years ago, and it died. I think the condenser went bad.
I don't think they would stick out a full inch. And you would use a longer tipped plug to compensate.

Obviously the headers were designed for later 14mm plug heads. They were not meant for 18mm heads. Simple fact.

Now go ahead and grind on them... :frown:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why would grinding be a bad idea? as long as I leave enuf material for the gasket to work, right?
and what 14 mm plugs would work? seems you cant just belly up to a parts house counter and just ask to look at various stuff. anymore. Seems all they go by is what kind of car it is, and let the computer tell them whats stock, wich is fine if the car is still stock.
Which reminds me, I just put new belts on my 67fairlane, and they gave me two belts. the alt belt was correct, but the power steering belt was WAy too long. I took it back and the guy said"thats what it calls for" "it" I assume is their computer. I gave him the belt that came off the car, and he dissapeared into the back. Its a 7400 gates xl. Fits alot of cars, and all lists I found say it fits late 50's fairlanes. Its not a AC car, no lower vents in the dash, or any strange bracketry under the hood.
Oh well, I got one that fits now.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
and what 14 mm plugs would work? seems you cant just belly up to a parts house counter and just ask to look at various stuff. anymore. Seems all they go by is what kind of car it is, and let the computer tell them whats stock, wich is fine if the car is still stock.
I guess I overlooked this little detail.

I never go to a parts counter without having researched what I want and the manufacturer. I do this on all aftermarket/speed parts and OEM. The days of competent parts vendors/jobber houses is long gone.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:eek::eek: I am....

A GM style part? (used the "peanut" plug first)
Where does it say GM? It is merely an adapter to convert to the later 14mm spark plugs. The early SBF takes 18mm plugs. I am thinking the headers were designed around early 18mm.

Convert your early Windsor, early 429, FE to current, cylinder heads to accept 14mm x .75" washer type spark plugs. We found it frustrating to build a high performance engine, then have literally a handful of plug heat ranges to choose from. Quick and easy install with lock-tight. No engine dis-assembly necessary. Includes installation tool.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Now go ahead and grind on them... :frown:
I am not the one that suggested that FIRST Kult, the OP was, so get off the damn soap box....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Uh... You had that second cup yet?
LOL yeah as a matter of fact... Starting with the other thread where I apologized to you..... ;)

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I have a '43 Martin 40 and a 50's Elgin 2.5, they just like the contacts on the condenser ground cleaned is all :)

Why don't this guy get a damn hog out bit and GRIND room in the header flange for the damn Plug wrench? Don't sound too complicated to me.... Sounds like the headers were made by tards.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lay off..... Isaid i was gonna grind the flanges quite a few posts ago.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, it was silly of me to not do that 5years ago, but im here now, not then.
Those were silly days.apartment, no garage, no tools, no help, daily driver, only car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts