Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work yesterday and noticed my oil presure was fluctuating back and forth from 38 psi to 48 psi... was thinking that the oil pump was on its last leg. Then i later went to check the oil. The dipstick was about an inch out of the tube, the handle was wet with oil along with the plug wires and surrounding area in general. On the opposite side, i had oil on the valve cover where my little air filter on the cover is. The filter is dirty an has been for a long time. Question, would my engine not breathing properly cause my oil presure to fluctuate as it was, an that dirty lil filter cause enough presure to blow the dip stick out? Any ideas and/or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sounds like excessive crank case pressure. Dont think that the oil pump is at fault here as far as the oil getting pushed out the valve covers etc.
good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-06-03 09:00, 393Clevor wrote:
pull the valve covers and check the drains in the heads.
Ok.. an the fluctuating oil presure? is it linked to crankcase presure and drains in the heads or are these separate issues? Im most worried about the oil presure right now cuz the car is a daily driver. If something is broke i gotta get it fixed right away...

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Check your PVC it should rattle. Otherwise oil can't drain back very well and your oilpump might be sucking air.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
well if the drains are clogged the oil can't get back to the pan. you end up pumping all the oil to the top and it can't get back down to the pump. I would also check the gauge to make sure it's ok, get a manual gauge and check it.

good luck ......and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The last timeI had a fluctuation in oil pressure like that was when I had a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
all the oil in the heads WILL cause ickiness! No breathing is allowed if it's all stuk up top. PVC being clogged or bad will do this too, along with piston ring blowby, it will restrict the oil passages by sheer force of wind and then pull your sump dry and it drops enough to catch and fluctuate like that... But oil everywhere is either blow by, blown gasket or bad PVC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts