Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a quick, simple question for the guru's out there. I am looking to replace the stock 157 tooth 50oz balance flywheel to a 28oz one. Would a 1968-85 stock 157 tooth 28 oz one work? (I think they are both 13.250" in diameter) I am not sure about thickness and bolt pattern and would rather not buy and have to return it if it doesn't match up.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You can't change the imbalance...if you're using the same balancer and crank. A 28oz flywheel is meant to work with a crank that needs 28oz of imbalance to be 'balanced' and a harmonic balancer of the same weight. Same for a 50oz flywheel. If you just switch the flywheel to a 28oz, you're gonna shake the thing apart =).

If the reason you're wanting to do this is because you've heard 28oz imbalance is easier on your engine, or for less rotating mass, it's not really worth it. Use this motor till it goes...then build yourself a stroker and go to 28oz then =).

Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 10/1/06 6:35am ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cris,

The reason I ask is that my current flywheel (well the ring gear anyway) is pooched and I am needing to replace it anyway. I have a 28 oz harmonic and was hoping to match the flywheel to it.

And yes I am building a stroker now...

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markawatt on 10/1/06 10:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you're building a stroker, and the crank is specific to a 28oz imbalance you're ok. But if your crank is spec'd for a 50oz imbalance (some stroker cranks are btw, although most are 28oz) and you use 28oz anything, you'll blow it up...if you can take the shaking long enough =).

If you're just needing a flywheel to get by, the sucky news is that no 28oz flywheel will work with a late model crank, regardless of what balancer you use =/. I'd say it's U-Pull-It time for a flywheel to get you by until you get your stroker together...at which point you'll likely need a 28oz imbalance.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cris,

Yes the stroker crank is balanced for 28 oz. My whole problem is that my local speed shop can not find a 28 oz balance flywheel for my 89 Fox box. They say that the only thing they can pull up is a 50 oz. Now I know that there is such a product since many Strokers have 28 oz balance. So I am trying to decide which of the following products would work with my assembly:

http://tinyurl.com/z9o4o

or

http://tinyurl.com/gk3lj

It is only a difference of 100 bucks but hey... if I can save a penny or two.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Either one should work with the stroker. I believe the ford one is drilled only for the 10.5" (late model style) clutch, which is exactly what you need. The CAT one should be drilled for either the 10" or 10.5" clutch, but some come with either/or, not both. Before you buy a flywheel you just need to make sure it's 28oz, and drilled for a 10.5" clutch to match up with your T5 (been awhile since I last had to deal with a clutch diameter issue!).

Neither flywheel however will work with your late model 302 crank, regardless of what harmonic balancer you use.

Cris

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I purchased a Fandanza Aluminum 28 oz flywheel for the 331 stroker motor I built and yes it has a 28 oz scat 9000 crankshaft and a 28 oz rattler harmonic balancer. You can purchase 28 oz flywheels for 302 motors everywhere. But everything has to match like the guy says above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts