Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about something I read in the current Fordmuscle article 'Build a 302 Stroker' :

"Incidentally, the new 4.6L OHC motors have a rod length [I assume they mean 'rod ratio'] of over 2.5, due to the unconventionally long 8.9" rods."

I've sen a few companies (SCAT, Manley) that offer stock replacement rods for the 4.6L and 5.4L and they list the 4.6L rods as 5.933", which resluts in a rod/stroke ratio of around 1.67:1 . Does anyone know what the actual rod length is and/or where FM got 8.9" as the rod length.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The mod motors do not have a rod stroke anywhere near that as you guessed. Rod ratios that high are very bad for the motor and are not used even in F1 build ups. The 5.4 and V10s have rod ratios back in the 1.5 range a little lower than a typical 347 for instance. The short stroke 4.6 is around 1.67 or so. Rod stroke doesn't really mean anything for most engines at all. Always take cubes reguardless of RR and you'll have more power and reliability in general.

Conversely you DO need some compression height for extreme hp applications so sometimes you run an even shorter rod or destroke a little to allow more room for the ring and pin package. Most of these "Ford people" ridiculously over hype this though so don't worry. Below is a picture of a current record holding 3000 pounds 6.55 second 213 mph NMCA Pro Outlaw piston with the pin in the oil ring and lowered rings. It makes 2200 hp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts