Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whenever a new model-year Mustang is released it is inevitably the V8 GT version that garners all the press. The 2011 Mustang is no different - the second coming of the 5.0L engine (in modular form of course) and the nearly 400 horsepower to the wheels is well deserving of the headlines. However, the base-model V6 is quite a story in its own right. Never mind that the base model is rated at 305 flywheel horsepower - better than what the previous GT models came with. Ford actually has made the base model look as good as the GT. Our media test car turned heads everywhere we went with its silver and black body, 18" anthracite wheels, and dual exhaust. We love that Ford's designers made the front grill reminiscent of a 1966 Shelby GT350 by replacing the gaudy coral and pony for a right-justified horse on stripes.

Driving Impressions
I won't sugar coat this review. If the car didn't look so good I'd be pretty critical of how it drove. The 3.7L V6 may have great power, but it isn't until 6500 rpm. That may not be a problem if you have the manual transmission option, but this media test car came with the six speed auto. In this day and age a six speed auto ought to be smooth and quick shifting. In this car it feels like the old C4 three speed auto. It's clunky at low speeds, shifts to soon, and offers no sort of sport or paddle mode whereby the shift points are held longer. It's a frustrating drivetrain because when a car looks this good you can't help but be convinced it offers a sportier driving experience - but it doesn't, not with the auto. The suspension is soft as well, and the brakes equally spongy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Have you driven the previous V6 before? I rented one and I was not impressed. The previous GT felt a lot more sorted out. From what I have read the new V6 is way nicer than the outgoing car. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts if you have driven a 05-09 V6.

What's bad is I had a 97 Cobra. This car would stomp all over it and still cost a few thousand less than my Cobra was new. My 03 Cobra when it was stock would get a beat down by the new GT in all categories except the 1/4 mile. It's about even there.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I;d love the new 5.0 as a crate motor, in a lighter car, like a early Falcon or even my F'lane i;m sure it would be a little monster.
We had the opportunity to do a rolling start run against one last week.(my accountant has one & goaded me into running him).
It was a no contest against the GTO, but, will be interesting to see how it will do once the aftermarket suppliers get their hands on it.
if, that is, if there is anything left in the little 5.0 to improve.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Looks like a nice car for the Girl Friend or Wife..... Does look good.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Evolution performance already has the 5.0 in the 10's Natuarally aspirated with bolts ons, gears and slicks. With spray I heard they have hit the 9's.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I bought an '07 convertible with the V-6 and 5 speed auto transmission for my wife. From the beginning I was impressed with this V-6's performance. I know it is not a GT nor was it ever intended to act like one. But I can tell you this, her previous car was an '02 GT convertible and I would be willing to go side-by-side with these two and I know the '07 would keep up with the '02 if not kick it's butt.

Hopefully Ford will re-tune the '12 to help it's performance shortfalls with this new awesome V6. (Speaking or re-tuning... hell just do it yourself!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although most of the hubbub surrounding the http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang is centered on the GT’s fantastic new 412-hp, 5.0-liter V-8—our test of which you can http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-short-take-road-test—Ford made damn sure not to forget about the volume V-6 model, which now sports a high-tech 305-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 as standard equipment. Yes, 305 ponies in a base Mustang, or just 10 fewer than in last year’s GT. Given that our left us about as warm as a dip in a frozen lake
-------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts