Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my brother (the actual mechanic in the family) and I were able to get the motor and trans pulled from the Falcon and discovered that I have an FMX instead of a C4. Figures it would have the auto trans that I know the least about. So I am asking you all, whats with the FMXs, good, bad, keep it, replace with a c4 (if I dont go with a T5)? School me on FMX transmissions. Thanks.

Nathan

·
Registered
861 Posts
Falcon with an FMX?

What engine does it have?

But FMX's are very strong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 302. Nothing original in the drivetrain. I suspect the car may have been a weekend warrior at the drag strip at one time. Seems I remember reading the FMXs were very tough, but not much in the aftermarket for go fast parts.

Nathan

·
Registered
861 Posts
FMX's don't need much for go fast parts.

Build it and run.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The FMX (1968/ ) is a pretty tough SOB. And there is still HP parts availability.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what i've found also . What are your plans ?
So far, my plan is to make the Falcon a driver, not a race car. You know, reliable, comfortable, decent fuel mileage. It currently has 4.11 gears in the 8" so either a gear change or an OD trans.

Nathan

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would go with a gear change and keep the FMX.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Yes stay with the FMX, If you are rebuilding a good freshen up and go with a basic Transgo shift kit will give you good service

1 - 9 of 9 Posts