Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 302 backed by an fmx and have been wanting to change it out for a c4. I've read countless forums about the swap but my only question that remains unanswered is what size is the fmx flywheel? I've heard 164 teeth (50oz imbalance) but I believe that was behind a 351w. Would it be the same for my 302?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your FMX flex plate should be a 164 T and will be the same as the large bellhousing/pan fed C4. Because it's attached to a FMX, that means you likely have a 70's model 302. If so, it will have a 28oz. counter weight.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Shameless thread hijack!

Hey Ken - good to see you here. I wanted to ask if you will have your wonderful videos for the later AODE versions - the 4R70W/4R75W-E transmissions? If not, would you have a technical info source besides the standard shop manual? I need some control spec's for the electronics.

Thanks!
David

PS; And sorry for the thread 'jack!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi David, I plan to do a 4R70W film at the end of the year but have a couple projects ahead of that. I drew up plans a couple years ago for a 4R70W electric tester. With it you can test the internal circuits and be able to dial shift and lock the converter while driving. To make a fully automatic controller would take a bit more work. I believe a MegaSquirt has enough inputs but maybe not enough outputs to run the two shift sol., EPC and converter lock sol. I think I could make a semi automatic controller using my tester. Have a 1-2-3 push button switches with an automatic shift to OD/converter lock and an automatic 4-3 kickdown at a certain road speed. Any of these would be a good project.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
That's cool, Ken. I would be interested in following your progress and any products and videos that may come of it.

In the mean-time, I really need to get my setup going, and if you could help with any of the info I requested in this thread NEEDED: AODE / 4R70W electronic info (transmission) I would appreciate it greatly!

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts