Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the forum but not new to ford and mercury. I have a 69 cougar with a rebuilt and beefed up 351 windsor. I have a rebuilt FMX trans with no issues other than it seems to puke fluid with I hit it hard and after I park it in the garage. Trans shop that rebuilt it says it is pushing fluid out the breather?? I have a beefed up converter on it as well. Seems to be ok when I drive it nice but I like pushing it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum but not new to ford and mercury. I have a 69 cougar with a rebuilt and beefed up 351 windsor. I have a rebuilt FMX trans with no issues other than it seems to puke fluid with I hit it hard and after I park it in the garage. Trans shop that rebuilt it says it is pushing fluid out the breather?? I have a beefed up converter on it as well. Seems to be ok when I drive it nice but I like pushing it. Any thoughts?
Hello twobears,

Usually if the fluid has come from the breather it is aerated. Now overfilling the transmission can cause that and or a worn pump can cause that.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the trans been rebuilt? Are you still running Type F, or the more modern Dextron III? It does sound like something worn and causing aeration like XL suggested.
I am using what was required for the trans. I think it is MERCON V I believe it is. It was supposed to be totally rebuilt, new clutches and so on. So I would assume the pump was replaced/rebuilt as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello twobears,

Usually if the fluid has come from the breather it is aerated. Now overfilling the transmission can cause that and or a worn pump can cause that.

Just thoughts.

Cheers
Thanks DesertXL.

I am using what was required for the trans. I think it is MERCON V I believe it is. It was supposed to be totally rebuilt, new clutches and so on. So I would assume the pump was replaced/rebuilt as well. I will dig through my paper work and see if it lists what they did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts