Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I sold a rebuild C4. The buyer just called me the C4 doesn't fit. Turns out he didn't do his homework and actually has an FMX under his Ranchero. I offered to take the C4 back and rebuild the FMX for him.

I've rebuild C4's, C6's, AOD's and 4R70W's, but never did an FMX yet. I've got a rebuild manual underway. From earlier research I already know some FMX parts are not available anymore. Bulkparts states 'Front and Middle sealing rings for sun gear are not available' and the rear bands seems permanently out of stock as well.

How do you guys tackle an FMX rebuild? Can those sealing rings be sourced from another transmission? How 'bout those rear bands? Do you get them relined? Any other issues I should be aware of?

TIA,
Marc

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
My first thought is to re-line the bands, and cut new rings from Teflon tube or machine rod stock. Did Bulkpart have any suggestions?

David

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I've rebuilt a few , all the rings come in the kits . Most common kits are the same , the ones i get are Trantec brand .
Only thing i've had trouble getting are the shims at the rear to adjust the endfloat . I had to make some out of bronze material as they are a double sided thrust .

Bands are easily relined if you need .

They are reasonably simple to do , just follow the manual. The valvebody has quite a few parts to it compared to C4 or C6 but go steady and follow the pics . I think i have some FMX valvebody diagrams if you'd like them .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd certainly be interested in some more documentation Greg. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Local parts warehouse is asking $295.00 for relining the rear band. I've gotten quotes between $125.00 and $185.00. So I've hit up Wittrans for a quote including international shipping.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Local parts warehouse is asking $295.00 for relining the rear band. I've gotten quotes between $125.00 and $185.00...
Holy crap! They should be able to reline that for $12.50-$29.50 - not $125 to $295! Good luck to you. :tup:

David

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Holy crap! They should be able to reline that for $12.50-$29.50 - not $125 to $295! Good luck to you. :tup:

David
Exactly , thats about what i pay here too. What about trying Broaderperformance ? Marc replying to your email soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts