Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Torino GT fastback with a 351W FMX set up. Is is all factory original. I just finish the restoration as luck would have it.

I am getting a noise that seems to be coming from the bell housing. Best discription I can give is it sounds like a valve lifter kind of rattle, kind of like shaking chains. Transmission works fine and has proper type F in it.

When I start it cold, I do not hear it until a few minutes than it becomes loud enough I can hear it standing next to the car.

I put it on stands got under it and used my ear to try to narrow it down. It sure does not seam to be coming from the motor when I put my ear to the oil pan it is fairly quite. When I put my ear to the bell housing is very noticable mostly the back side. I took the inspection plate off checked to make sure no obvious cracks in the flex plate and that the converter was tight to the flex plate. All seemed ok. Started and watch the rotation, did not wobble or anything obvious. Sound did not seem louder with the cover off whick I thought was odd.

Any advice on how to dipgnosis it. Best guess site unseen of a few guy's I trust was cracked flex plate in the webbing. I really do not want to take out the transmission and play go fish trying to figure out what the issue is and put it back in and maybe, maybe not have fixed it.

How do I go about trying to narrow down what might be causing it.

One last thing I tired to check the front to back play on the crack. Just with hand pressure it did not move back and forth with the force I can put on it by hand. I am thinking the crank is not banging front to back.

Dan

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
crack f/w where it bolts to crank

starter motor . hard acceleration . noise get louder ?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Was the engine/trans overhauled during the restoration? Did the noise start after assembly?

Was the torque convertor installed into the front pump properly? Did you check for free play before installing the bell?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check TC to flywheel nuts and make sure they are tight. What nuts did you use? OEM nuts are thinner so they don't rub the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
What bolts did you use to bolt the trans to bell housing? To long a bolt can go in to far and rub TC.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
One last thing I tired to check the front to back play on the crack. Just with hand pressure it did not move back and forth with the force I can put on it by hand. I am thinking the crank is not banging front to back.
It could be the crank is too tight (thrust bearing) or the torque convertor has been forced into the crank snout and/or the front pump by improper install.

As mentioned, check flex plate mounting or possible hitting of ring gear on starter drive. Could be a multitude of things.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Was the engine/trans overhauled during the restoration? Did the noise start after assembly?

Was the torque convertor installed into the front pump properly? Did you check for free play before installing the bell?
hows dat dones ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course you never know for sure but odds are pretty good the transmission has never been taken apart so assuming it is as Ford assembled it.

It has 75k original miles on it.

The first two owners I tracked down, both claim the car was never taken apart no problems with it. The second sold it at 69k in 1985. It seems to mostly have sat until I found it and restored it. The only sign that any of the drive train has been apart is gaskets on the exhaust manifolds and some one changed the valve springs in one head, very odd for sure. Both were done a very long time ago. Dates match up and all the factory tags are in place and match up.

I checked the nuts from the TC to the flex plate that I can get to from the inspection plate they are all tight.

The starter does not appear from looking at it through the inspection plate with the motor running to be hanging up.

Other than flush out the fluid to make sure I had type F in it and not god know what mixed in, I changed the filter that is it.

My bell housing has bolts to the block. Three were loose I just re-tightened them.

One guy suggested I unbolt the TC from the Flex plate (through the inspection plate), push the TC back into the bell housing until the studs come out of the flex plate and restart the motor. If the noise goes away your flex plate it cracked, if it does not you got a problem in the transmission take it out and go through it until you find some thing our of tolerance .

Any one every try this ?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Don't unbolt the tq/conv. and start the engine

Don't listen to anything that dude tell's ya

1 - 9 of 9 Posts