Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to the site nad have a few questions. I have searched and found some good info, but wanted some clarification. I have a 64, with a 460 in it, and now it is time to replace the 8" with a 9". What width should I go for, and what wheel/tire size will best work with the factory sheetmetal/suspension? If I have to cut anything, it's getting a four-link w/ coil-overs but I'm trying to avoid that. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Are trying to avoind the coil overs and 4 link or are you trying to avoid cutting? I think I know what you're thinking but maybe not...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to run leaf springs, cal-tracs, and stock wheel-wells, however I want to run 10.90's so tire size will be critical.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
use a 57 ta 59 fairlane 9in. same width as the 8in,just have to move the spring pads.I have one in mine.When i got mine it didnt have the axels or backing plates.The 8in ones went right in

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what size tire, wheel, and backspace do you have with the stock width rear. I have an extra 9" housing laying around, but its out of an F-150 so it will need cut-down, new axels etc. . If you were cutting one down, would you go with a stock width or a couple incehs shorter, the wheel wells are rather unsually shaped as I am sure you know . . Just trying to figure out the easiest, most stock appearing way to stuff about a 27X10.50 or something close in there. .

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run a 57 to 59 9in in mine. It is about 1 inch wider overall than stock. I run a 15x8 Weld Draglite with a 275/60/15 Nitto Drag radial. Back spacing is 5.5 inches. I do have ladder bars and coilovers, also have wilwood discs on it. Tires fit with minor trimming of fender lip and bending of the inner lip.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts