Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cheepest way to go is, in jeg's mag.
thay have a guideplate conversion kit for 351-c/ 460 cranecams kit for $79.99. it works well. Topper

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Crane conversion kit now. I have the heads off and am not sure how well they will stand up and that is why I wanted to know what to expect if I take the heads in to do it the right way?

Blue Fastback

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would use the crane conversion kit for a cam up to about .530 lift max. If you notice the bottom of the studs are only 5/16" while the tops are 7/16" on the conversion kit. If your racing the car pay the money buy the best valves around(1 piece severe duty)and have the heads done properly. It will save you a lot of head aches and money down the road.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 5/6 to 7/16 kind of scares me. I am only using a .510 cam and it is a street toy but trying to get an idea of milling the heads to do it right while the heads are off. I hate to be sorry later if they dont hold up.

Blue Fastback

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think my local speed shop charges about $80 to do the milling.
I did mine myself with a cutter kit that Crane Cams sells. The kit cost more that the speed shop charges, but I have done several heads for myself and other people for a small fee. It has paid for it's self.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$80 sounds very cheap. With the canted valves, I would think it would be more expensive than doing say a small block. I guess it depends where you live. I leave near Detroit and everything is always top buck. I have not checked with the machine shop that is going to do some head work for me yet to see what they charge.

Blue Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blue Fastback on 1/19/02 10:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think the last set I had done was around $100. I wouldnt use the conversion kit on anything. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
In my neck of the woods it's about $125.00.

Don't use that "conversion kit ... if you have the heads off the car just do it right.

Can you sing "M I C ... K E Y ... M O U S E"

I would only use that as a last resort if you are converting and have no other reason to pull the heads ... and even then I think long and hard about pulling the heads to mill the bosses anyway.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/19/02 11:27pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/19/02 11:30pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Just a quick note about the crane kit, if you install it without taking the heads off, you wont be able to get the heads off without taking the kit off, the kit blocks some of the head bolts from coming out. If you replace the upper row of bolts with allen head capscrews, you won't have problems installing or removing the heads, I've had the capscrews in now for 4 months, havent had a problem yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts