Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale is an original Ford Galaxie 390 cylinder block. The block was hot dipped at one point, and has since only accumulated a very light layer of surface rust in a few areas from sitting. This block was bought by the previous owner of my Galaxie, and he intended on using it for a numbers matching restoration. Based on that, and the fact it's been dipped, I would assume it's not cracked. Nonetheless, buyer should have it magnafluxed to be sure. There is a shop very close to my place that can do it, so serious buyers should get in touch and we can work out a deal to have it inspected before the sale if desired. I'm not seeking to get rich on this thing, just looking to get it in the hands of someone who can use it. Asking $120.

Casting number: C4AE-6015-A
Date code: 3K29 (October 29, 1963)
Standard bore: 4.050
Near the bore marking it is very clearly marked: R23478 (not sure what this means; rumored to be a partial VIN, but I doubt it)
Dearborn Foundary, Mold #9

It's already crated up, so it can be freight shipped at buyers expense, but local pickup is desired. I took over 100 pictures of it, so let me know if you'd like more pics.

The item pictured is the exact item for sale. Comes from a dry, pet free and smoke free home/garage.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Looks like a bored out 352 to me....

The date code 3 k 29 Tuesday Oct. 29 1963....

The bore say's 4.050 some machine shop stamped into the block face.... That's the standard bore 390, which suggests to me a bored 352 block....

A little more is the casting number... 352-427 and it's not a 4.13 bore..... Just saying. Good luck selling it, I need one but freight would kill me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments. Since I have no history about the block I guess there's no way to confirm either way. However, your scenario makes a lot of sense.

If your handle was FEandFullofCash, I might pressure you to buy this block.

I have another block with a mid-August '63 date that I just had magnafluxed and dipped (along with original heads, intake manifolds, and exhaust manfolds), so I'll post an ad for those pieces as soon as I take pics.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks for your comments. Since I have no history about the block I guess there's no way to confirm either way. However, your scenario makes a lot of sense.

If your handle was FEandFullofCash, I might pressure you to buy this block.

I have another block with a mid-August '63 date that I just had magnafluxed and dipped (along with original heads, intake manifolds, and exhaust manfolds), so I'll post an ad for those pieces as soon as I take pics.
I DO like that color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts