Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody noticed that nobody stocks points anymore or is it just Kragen and Auto zone? None of the Kragens close to my house carry points anymore and Auto zone usually only has 1 complete set. I had to go to 2 different Auto zones today to get a complete set. I bought all 3 points/condenser sets that they had today so I'll be set for a while. I guess I'll just have to order them online from now on so I'm not driving all over town just for new points.

The funniest thing was when I asked the lady at Kragen behind the parts counter for a points and condenser setup. she returns with one box with a condenser in it. slides it over to me and tried to convince me that the condenser was actually a whole points/ condenser setup because the computer said so. The manager then came over and said it would take 5 days to order a complete set

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be the ideal setup but I'm just using my stock coil and points until I can rebuild the engine. I would then like to switch to a similar setup. I've been using my fairlane as a daily driver and I'm getting about 6000 miles until either the points are fried or the brass inserts in the rotor cap get burnt. my driving habits probably don't help either

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Get that little electronic majigger that costs about $80 bucks and replaces the points permanently. There is only 2 screws and 2 wires and it works great! I just can't remember the friggin name....
You only need the unit it's self and use your stock coil, nothing outside the dist cap looks diffrent.
FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 3/20/06 10:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pertronix is one of the brands who makes them FE, there are a few others, but I think Pertronix has the best reputation for the simplest of the units and they are great from what I hear for daily drivers...but how about for a performance car, anyone run one that way? I know just writing "performance car" is kind of generic, but I know there are so many set ups out there, I was more or less wondering if anyone uses Pertronix on something other than a daily driver, maybe the weekend drag racer??
Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Humphrey351 on 3/20/06 10:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use a petronix on my 69 289 fastback with great results. I drive it on the street and drag race it with nitrous and never had any problems.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: outrgus on 3/20/06 10:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the pertronix ignition on my 289 '64 galaxie with no complaint. I just wanted to keep my fairlane stock until I rebuild the engine and then I might go with a dual points setup. The points have been working fine on this car so I am not going to switch it out with an electronic ignition. I was having all kinds of points problems on my galaxie and that all went away with the installation of the pertronix module.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
I put a "Pertronix" (thanks for the word... that is what I was thinking....) into a 66 Chevelle 396, with a decent build... It just screamed with the pretronix and was only so so with the points and condenser setup.... That was 2 years ago... I believe I have pics of the trunk pan replacement over on kermit's site somewhere...

FE

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
try a higher end auto parts store such as a carquest or napa auto parts they should have them and make sure u get the good points cause the lower grade stuff is jus trash if u go to a carquest store u can get the blue streak stuff which all of the old school drag racers used to use when points was all u could get!

·
Subscriber
82 Posts
btw if u go with a perttronix make sure u get the coil to go along with it as well and in about four sets of points a pertronix will pay for itself and u will be waaay happy!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I say, If you use a MSD (or any other aftermerket box) get a dizzy for a duraspark. The dizzy is cheaper then the pertronix upgrade.

If your not using a box then any upgrade is welcome over points. Even the power gain.
I myself used the Crane XR-i without a box and with its built in rev limiter was awesome and easy to install. Its also cheaper then Pertronix.

But I am far from saying Pertronix is bad. Shoot so many love them!
Alot of people just overlook the XR-i.

I can get points easily round these parts.

1973 Gran Torino Sport (sold)

2004 Cobra
2004 Marauder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 3/22/06 5:44am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
On 2006-03-19 23:26, norcal500 wrote:
that would be the ideal setup but I'm just using my stock coil and points until I can rebuild the engine. I would then like to switch to a similar setup. I've been using my fairlane as a daily driver and I'm getting about 6000 miles until either the points are fried or the brass inserts in the rotor cap get burnt. my driving habits probably don't help either
If you are going thru points that frequently you may want to add a ballast resistor. You can purchase a 0.8 ohm resistor at AZ for just a few bucks. At some time your resistor wiring coming off the ignition switch may have gotten replaced. It should be a pink wire on the run side of the switch. Also keep the contacts adjusted flat to each other. You probably know all that stuff. I think I still have a ballast resistor and the box with the part number if you would like the number.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
On 2006-03-21 17:37, F15Falcon wrote:
On 2006-03-21 17:23, psivory wrote:
Just throw a custom curved Performance Dist. in her, hook up one wire and your done, nice and simple
I just cannot get used to a $hevy distributor on top of a Ford!!
Heck, half the engine isn't ford. Intake, heads, water pump, carb, rockers, etc. GM might have come up with it, but this isn't a GM Dist

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 3/22/06 12:01pm ]</font>

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I know Kragen and Auto Zone are low budget parts stores (especially Kragen) and I'm sure that is part of the problem. It just happens that Kragen is 4 blocks from my house and I am too lazy to drive cross town. I was using the Borg Warner heavy duty points from Kragen but a friend of mine said it really is better to go with the regular points. I will upgrade my ignition when I go more "performance" and rebuild my engine.

·
Administrator
22,116 Posts
I haven't bought any new points in about 4 yrs but then I haven't even put but maybe 5000 miles on the car in that time either.
I keep saying one of these days the points and generator will be gone. I just haven't done it yet. Heck I think I even have all the brackets and have a ford alt to use even. Alas, procrastination is my friend.
Plus other things keep taking priority.

Deb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.