Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cut the Super vic .100" (one hundred thousandths), on both sides. Still did't fit. (high on one side, fairly decent on other). Cut another .040" on passenger side of intake. Cut .120" off ends/bottoms. After some final 'cleaning up' around bowls, etc, it fits pretty darn good.
(a whole lotta messing around, tho to make a manifold work!)

(by the way.........motor's coming home tonite........may be running (in the car), as soon as sunday)................

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I may be off base here,but isn't the Super Victor manifold offered in 2 versions,for 8.2 and 8.7 deck heights? If so, maybe you got the one for the special 8.7(+.500 over standard 302)block. That might explain why so much had to be machined off. Just a thought,forgive me if I'm wrong as I often am.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Jim, Drag has a 351 based stroker. But Edelbrock offers 2 different intakes for 2 different deck heights of windsors too.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edelbrock says that the manifolds are supposed to fit, but that some machining for particular applications may be necessary.

It fits quite nicely now. (that's still a helluva lotta material to take off tho).

Curious to see what results AFR has with their super vic cut up.

And it's a stock 351 block. AFR 205 heads are supposed to be exactly like/tolerances/size wise as stock.
IT'S THE INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Well now it's my turn to add to this older post.

I just went through a painful process trying to get my Super Victor to fit. It's still not over but here's what I've found:

Cut .125" off sides (not bottom)
Cut .100" off bottom (now there is no rail left!)

I made sure the SVJ was port matched to the FelPro 1262 and it was a tad small. So I opened up the manifold offsetting the gasket to match the bottom of the port and just cutting the top. Big mistake.

It turns out that the AFR ports sit around 0.100" lower on the head than say a Twisted Wedge port. I should have offset the port matching such that I didn't touch the top of the existing SVJ port and opened up the bottom. But I didn't catch this slight nuance until AFTER the fact!!!!

Anyway...what to do. Has anyone filled the port with JB Weld or an equivalent and then ground it back to match a port? Or welded with one of these "aluminum welding rods?"

Hmmm..comments..complaints accepted!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes.
Nope. Never had to 'build up/reweld/' an intake (as of yet).
I was 'fairly happy' with the fitment after all the cutting. My (don't want to use the word accomplice, being as HE doesn't add any monetary funds to the racing gig), but bud Dale wanted to do MORE machining on the intake, (was just slightly off on the bottom on one side), but I was still so PO'd at that point from having to take as much off as we did, that I left it.

Maybe there might have been another 5-6 hp with more port touching up, but at that point I didn't care. (hard to believe, eh?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Hi Steve and Allen. I had to cut mine allot also and it matches up nice now. Allen what about cutting the head now to match the port rather then trying to fill it and have it come loose. Or spend another 300 bucks and start over. Chalk it up to experience.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Double ouch.
After spending as MUCH as I did on the AFR heads, THAT wasn't even an option for me. I wouldn't dream of taking a knife to those babies. (not until I break 'em).

I'd probably either have the manifold welded up a tad, and re/cut/machined, or get another manifold.

When I was going thru this process, (way back when EDELBROCK wasn't even aware they had a problem), let alone AFR, I was told that the manifolds will be a' 'one off' gig. Customer modifies to fit. If you sold it to someone, what would be the chances of it fitting their app? Slim and none, I'll tell ya.

Good luck on your endeavor. Let us know how it comes out!

(save someone elses ass down the road)!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
So here's the Saturday update. It turns out that I cut one port lower by the exact amount that I RAISED all of the others and sure enough it's a dead-on fit. My screw up.

So I've been trying to do a low-temp weld to no avail. Bought some hi-strength epoxy but then found out it softens at around 140. Oops. Can't use it.

Now, do I pull the heads and port to the 1262R and correct the problem or go back and find a cold epoxy that can stand hi-temps. More later....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts