Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am at a hard decision. Right now I have a 65 Galaxie Ranch Wagon and I cant decide if I should modify the Ford 240 Straight 6 or just go all out and save up for a V8. I know most would go for the V8 but I just want to see what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have two 67 ford customs with 240s and one 67 galaxie with a 390 and all three are great. I drove the automatic custom from new York to pa when I first bought it and I was in awe of the response and power it has. A nice cruiser for sure. If you want to hop it up. Cams can easily be changed, you can put on a 4 barrel intake with a 390 cfm carb and you can get exhaust manifolds from a 300 ford truck that split the exhaust and you can have duel exhaust and the list goes on.....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
The first question is always why you are doing it. What do you expect from it and how will you use it? So, why are you considering swapping or modding? Guessing solutions usually ends-up in disappointment. The second round of questions involves budget, and how far you plan to go with it

David

PS: Ford sixes are generally under-rated. A well-running six is a pleasure to drive. Yes, a well-tuned stock six can smoke the tires in most models. :tup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! I might as well stay with the 240 because of the tight budget. Plus with the power you can make it have it will be perfect for what I am going to do

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in the process of reassembling my 240 for my 66 Custom 500. I'm bumping up the cam, adding an "Offy" intake, a Holley 390 4 barrel carb and a set of Hedmann Headers. I've got an appointment with an experienced 6 cylinder master magician for a port N polish session in April.

I know I'm not going to be the fastest one out there. I'm looking for a unique looking motor (compared to all the V8s) and that will sound as good as it looks. The 6 has good power and moves it down the highway at an economical fuel tab to boot!

You can make more power than you think! Change the crankshaft and pistons to a set for the 300 and stroke your motor; no one but you would ever know! You get a 300 (bigger than a 289 and almost as big with more torque than some stock 302s!). Clifford Performance has some nice Intake/Carb combinations that will definitely impress. Summit sells the Offy intake/Holley Carb/Hedmann stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, I am not using the high end roller rockers shown in the photo I attached. Those rockers won't fit under the rocker cover. I will be using some stamped steel roller tip ones from summit that will fit. Planning on fitting the crank and pistons tomorrow while the OL is working.

That little C4 trans will clean up nicely too! I spent a couple of hours cleaning mine up with a couple of wire wheels and Harbor Freight 90 degree die grinders ($10 each) and it looks good. I'll snap some pictures and attached for you to see.

·
Registered
653 Posts
FWIW, I am not using the high end roller rockers shown in the photo I attached. Those rockers won't fit under the rocker cover.
Just a vertical thing? Seems like you need a friend with some CAD software and access to a waterjet cutter to make you a 1/2in spacer...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Y'know, if I were starting my '64 wagon project today I might be thinking in terms of a 240.

But I'd also be thinking EFI and a couple of T25 turbos...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not mentioned least dont believe it was porting the head. More air will produce a lot more power. Porting and a stock cam will produce better results than most all bolt on stuff.

·
Subscriber
765 Posts
I'm heading this route (if I can find the parts) simply for the transmission options.

the 240 (and 300) has the small-block bolt pattern.
small-block bolt pattern = Mustang T5 tranny.
5-speed O/D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts