Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Can somebody tell me what this is called and where to find it (this one is leaking I think its cracked)
photo
1582101159724.png
attached.

All help will be welcome.
G from South Africa

·
Registered
212 Posts
It looks like you’re talking about the threaded plug with the Allen head?
I’m not familiar with those exact heads but would imagine it would have NPT threads on it. The plugs usually don’t crack, but the head itself can, or deteriorate until it leaks.
I would imagine you could try having it fixed at a machine shop. Myself I would probably try taking the plug out and try some JB Weld and tapping new threads, then try a new plug with sealer on it.
I’m sure someone who has dealt with this before will chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its the one in a video you can see that the water comes from inside the hex key
do not know if I can up-load a Video on this site

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
It's just a plug. Assuming you can get it out, it's easily replaced. Probably a NPT (pipe) plug. Common and easy to find. Might even put some JB-Weld on the threads when you put it back in... or at least some sealer.

Might need to get it HOT with an acetylene torch. Propane won't likely touch it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
TKS will try to remove it this weekend
Hey, I just went to the garage and looked at my heads. That plug has a large, 9/16" hex. I do NOT see that stripping. If you use a 9/16" hex socket on a strong air ratchet, it 'should' spin right out without even having to apply any heat. The KEY will be using the 9/16" hex socket on an impact.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well did you get it out? It's a core plug for when they case the heads. Some will come out nicely, some could survive a Nuc bomb attack. If the plug is bad you might get away with just replacing it and put a new one back in with sealer. If the head threads are bad, have a "good" machinist drill and tap it to the next size larger plug. Not much room but can be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well did you get it out? It's a core plug for when they case the heads. Some will come out nicely, some could survive a Nuc bomb attack. If the plug is bad you might get away with just replacing it and put a new one back in with sealer. If the head threads are bad, have a "good" machinist drill and tap it to the next size larger plug. Not much room but can be done.
Hi No go so far. Plug wont move Cold or Hot even with a Breaker Bar. Seems like I will have to take it to a MC shop.
Will let you know if any progress. :cool:(n)

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Hi No go so far. Plug wont move Cold or Hot even with a Breaker Bar. Seems like I will have to take it to a MC shop.
Will let you know if any progress. :cool:(n)
Got to get it red/orange hot. This will break the rust bond. Plus, a strong IMPACT is key. You can let it cool down until the color returns to normal after giving it heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts