Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a spare 302 V8 ford engine under my bench and was wondering how to tell if it has performance heads on it. it is all rebuilt and i was going to put the heads on the 302 in my 1976 ford f100 if they were. let me know how to tell or if i can give any #s to help you guys out.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The only stock 302 heads that were performance(performance being relative) were the Boss 302 heads and those were Cleveland heads. Most all aftermarket performance heads now are better than even the Boss 302 heads. I took a set of early 70's stock 302 heads and with a lot of port work and over sized valves was able to run low 13's in the quarter with them. I put a set of E7TE heads on my truck that I also home ported. They are ok for a very mildly upgraded engine. The 95 and up Explorer's had GT40 or GT40P heads that are a notch better than stock but not by much. Those have 3 or 4 vertical bars cast into the front of the heads.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hottarod is right there isn't much to choose from with stock SBF heads...Some are much worse than others though...If you pull off a valve cover and look in amongst the pushrod holes you should find a date code..It will look something like this 7G28......The first number is the year of the decade,the second letter is the month and the final number is the day of the month...A picture would also be good to help get us at least into the right decade..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts