Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
All the rockers on an FE are supported on both sides, except for the ones on the end. Those are only supported on ONE side. This flexes the shaft. It also forces ONE stand to carry all of the load for that rocker, and it's a leveraged load. This works okay for stock cams with weak, stock springs turning stock rpm. For ANY street/strip engine using aftermarket cam/springs, extra support is needed. A $129 set of end stands is the cure.

For a dedicated race setup using solid roller cams, etc... A fully aftermarket shaft/rocker system is highly recommended... Way more expensive than the end stands.

all iI to say is the aluminum stands are trouble . Never any breakage with oem iron stands..
do agree a shaft system from places like T&D for big race roller cams

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
The end rockers need supported on both sides with anything outside of stock cam/springs/rpm. The aluminum end stands fill that gap just fine. Full race with a solid roller, etc... a dedicated aftermarket rocker system is recommended.

A street car with an aftermarket cam and springs needs the end supports... and the aluminum ones work just fine for that. I don't know if there are any end supports available made from steel, but those would be even better. However, I would take aluminum stands with end supports of stock steel any day!

Good Luck!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
The end rockers need supported on both sides with anything outside of stock cam/springs/rpm. The aluminum end stands fill that gap just fine. Full race with a solid roller, etc... a dedicated aftermarket rocker system is recommended.

A street car with an aftermarket cam and springs needs the end supports... and the aluminum ones work just fine for that. I don't know if there are any end supports available made from steel, but those would be even better. However, I would take aluminum stands with end supports of stock steel any day!

Good Luck!
you every use the stock 427 iron stands ? I did for for 9 years , and friend have used the iron oem for longer on oval track . no breakage .

BTW what broke in the OP's pic's a iron stand or aluminum ?the shaft also broke ?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts