Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
On a recent 352 core engine that I played with on the dyno for giggles, it picked up 26 with just a change from the Autolite 2100 to a Holley 500 2-bbl. Changing from the factory 2-bbl intake to a Blue Thunder 4V with a Holley 650 DP picked up another 30 on top of that.

The engine made 186 hp in factory form. Dialing in 42° of total timing and eliminating the junky PCV valve put us at 208. The carb and manifold changes were on top of that.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Putts, I am in no way critiquing your decision, but I will say, it's not this car alone. Aside from both the long and short cast iron "headers" that work pretty well, every single FE (including the CJ which are every so slightly better than most) will benefit significantly from headers.

So much so, that I would say that fitting a set, and coating them after and reinstalling, even if it was miserable, is worth it if performance is your goal. I am not talking 5-7 horsepower either, I would say 20 hp for the mildest of FEs and 50+ for the more healthy (up to about 425 hp) beyond that not sure anyone would even try a log

In fact, referencing Brent's post above, that engine was on the dyno with headers, (I was in the room LOL) there would not have been nearly the gains or even initial power output with stock manifolds

Also, I have never put a set of long tubes in a Galaxie, but have in so many miserable applications that I can't imagine it being a show stopper.

That being said, for a Gal, if long or short iron fit the chassis, great option too

21 - 23 of 23 Posts