Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests,I have a mate with a Ford Racing 427,delivered mid to late last year.
Blew smoke from the get go,changed stem seals slowed it for a while but then it returned.
He has had very little help from Ford even an indication or any admittance of an issue,All the usual lines,PCV,Valley sealed correctly,what oil blah blah.

Has anyone else here had or heard of any dramas with the 427's.

The heads are now off it having guides replaced at his expense as we are in Australia,so to ship it back before trying seals guides would have been a mamoth effort.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
By PLUGS I mean PISTONS.... Sheesh! LOL

And I'm a Jameson guy now day's, and after a few tonight I'll come up with some really creative ways to fix your rig.

But I'm Convinced 100% that you need to Hone it for about 15 Seconds per cylinder, and Buy some new rings and Custom fit each ring to each piston and cylinder and then break in your engine again, and have NO MORE fear of burning oil.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used Bon Ami on a 396 with chrome rings that didn’t want to seat. But I would first try an oil change. I have a friend that installed synthetic oil in his new 347, smoked like mad. We changed to Brad Penn break-in oil and now regular Brad Penn. It appears to be coming around, very little smoke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This engine is a brand spanking new Ford Racing 427.

There is a number of engines with the same problem,Its a little more than a hone will fix,The intake runners are saturated in oil.

Was curious is anyone on this forum had experienced the problem as a number of guys from the Cobra forums and others have also had the issue.

FR have taken a number of engines back and informing the owners on the engines return that it was simply valve stem seals that where faulty,hense the valve stem seals already being tried on this engine.

Seals did greatly minimis the smoke coming out the pipes for about 300 miles.

As I said the heads are off now having new guides fitted Ill keep you posted once its running and got a good few hundred miles on it as to how its going.

Hoorroo

Luke

·
Registered
718 Posts
Bon Ami sounds like a country like Katmandu > well i'm a gonna go to bon ami to , thats really what i'm gonno do , and if i ever git outta here i'm going to bon ami to !

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Hold on a minute pretty please!!!

The INTAKE runners are soaked with OIL?

BEFORE THE VALVES or only AFTER the valves?

Q: How does OIL enter the Intake runners PRIOR to the valve stem?

A: The PCV system. (where else can you think of that's actually plausible?)

Q: How does oil enter the Intake system AT the valves?

A: Via the guides.

Since you seem to have not received the heads back yet and don't know whether or not the problem is gone, why bring it up when you can't act on our assumptions until after you put it back together and run it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoa old fella.....

I was simply asking if anyone here had experienced the problem,in an effort to get some more feedback in relation to an outcome.

Garry trust me everything has been tried on this engine,IE no PCV,different oils.

Old mate has been talking on the phone and PM to a number of guys in the states and the issue isnt related to just one or two engines,problem being a number of these engines are still sitting in chassis waiting to be fired up.

It blew smoke from start immediatley,as you would expect a small amount at start but it never went away.

Driving it would blow plenty on back off..

Old mate contacted FR with this issue..never heard of it.

Little bit of googling found a number of engines with the same problem.

The theory is that the return hole in the head is too small and in a way literally flooding the top end,along with guides that are not upto scratch.

The heads should be back in a day or two.

I beleive they are Dart heads,Ill confirm that though.

FR have said to pack the engine up and send it back,this has been going on for 3 months after start up,remembering we are in Australia thats a task in itself,granted thats the risk one takes buying a crate.

Hoorroo

Luke.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I was at speed shop once and the phone rang. After the conversation I learned it was Jack Roush who had problems with his new 427 motors loosing a bit of power and smoke rolling out. He was advised to send one motor to the shop as his engineers could not find why. The motor arrived . A week later I asked Pat what was wrong with it. He stated the lifter gallys were too soft of metal and started to wear right from the first fire up. Was not much he said but was the culprit for that smoke. May not be your problem but is a thought I would post, can never tell.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Are you talking about a fe 427 or a small block stroked motor? Ford does not sell a 427 fe is why I was wandering.

I can tell you where the oil is coming from however. Remove the plugs and place a new set in. Run the car about a quarter mile and shut it down, Mark the plugs at the top before you remove them. When you take plugs out see if the oil is located on the plug at top where you marked it. If oil is on the top the oil is coming from the heads. If the oil is on the bottom then the oil is coming from the rings, simple to find out.

Sometimes with the wrong kind of val covers there is a baffel that works with the pvc. If baffel does not work well then oil is sucked and smoke. Just remove the pvc as I beleive you did stated below but not gona clear up till you run it a while. Just trying to help ya is all, good luck. Now ya got me wandering

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Hey Muzzy, I wasn't baggin on ya.

It's just that with ALL the engines I've rebuilt that blew out smoke within or during the break in and didn't Stop blowing smoke had ring problems or were pulling oil spray into the intake via the pcv.

I surely hope it's just wimpy valve guides, which pisses me off by the way, Valve Guides are the EASIEST thing on a motor to get RIGHT! How the hell can an engine builder get SO MANY wrong if they proof their schitt BEFORE building it. I mean damn, that's what a prototype is for isn't it? I think Iron Valve guides are bar none the best for the job at any time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers guys,

Also aware that Jack has some issues with his 427's.As im sure they all can and do.There are some of them puppies out here as well..Hope there ok.

As we all know problems are expected at some point, its how they are handled and resolved that proves the good from the average.

Ill put up a link (if that doesnt offend anyone) to the other forum discussion on these engines.

Is it ok to post a link to another forum.??

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Cheers guys,

Ill put up a link (if that doesnt offend anyone) to the other forum discussion on these engines.

Is it ok to post a link to another forum.??
no worries mate....
we are pretty open minded here...:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im led to beleive they are FR Heads via Dart...Not 100% but thats the consensus.

Here is the link,Keep in mind when people say they have supplied FR their engine,then say that this and that was done by FR to resolve the problem,one cannot gaurantee that this was carried out.

Ford Racing 427 burning oil - Club Cobra

Also this one.

#257 Go cart - bittersweet.... - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Many PM's have been exchanged with my mate Chris and guys from the forum who have had the same issues,and have been very helpfull.

Think Chris will come aboard here soon.

Cheers fellas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts