Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with 427 side oiler gas fouling the plugs? What I have is a 427 side oiler, brand new. 140 lb. compression. Hydraulic roller cam. Eldelbrock Aluminum heads. MSD Inginition . Completely reworked carbs.,jetting, radius rods, springs, floats, etc. Eldelbrock Air Gap 2 x 4 intake with 550 carbs. I am running 3926 Autolite long reach plugs, .40 gap. It keeps gas fouling the spark plugs. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Your carbs are not dialed in, and/or you need hotter plugs.

You didn't state what carbs? Holley? Edelbrock? Carter?

Find someone that knows how to tune a dual quad setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with galaxiex. way to much fuel...
But by chance if your not getting a big enough flame on the plug, it could
get wet.
I hate to disagree with galaxiex, but heat range has nothing to do with
spark. Heat range is what the engineers decided what the combustion chamber
needs to help dissipate heat. It is not unusually going up or down one range
from what is stock, but to many people think that if you install a higher heat range
you get more spark...what you are doing is hurting your motor...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I agree with galaxiex. way to much fuel...
But by chance if your not getting a big enough flame on the plug, it could
get wet.
I hate to disagree with galaxiex, but heat range has nothing to do with
spark. Heat range is what the engineers decided what the combustion chamber
needs to help dissipate heat. It is not unusually going up or down one range
from what is stock, but to many people think that if you install a higher heat range
you get more spark...what you are doing is hurting your motor...
I'm aware that hotter plugs don't give a "hotter spark".
What they do is, the electrode runs hotter, which can burn off deposits and help prevent fouling.
In this case it would be a band-aid.

The real problem is, as noted, the carbs need tuning.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What type of spark plug wires? Some don't have what it takes to make a good spark between the dist and the plugs. It's like building a 600HP engine with a 5/16" steel feul line trying to feed it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What type of spark plug wires? Some don't have what it takes to make a good spark between the dist and the plugs. It's like building a 600HP engine with a 5/16" steel feul line trying to feed it.
No matter what plug wires.... gas fouled plugs are difficult to fire.
You can have the best ignition system and plug wires in the world,
but if the plugs are gas fouled the engine will be hard to start and won't run very well if/when it does start.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you have the right ignition system they won't become fowled. Unless the carb is flooding over, wrong PV or leaking, leaking gaskets in the carb, jets way to big. Look at it this way. Funny Cars and Dragsters use 2 ignition systems that are so powerful they'll fire dual plugs in 8 cyl that burn 5 gals of fuel in a few seconds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
yup way to much fuel is getting dumped, are you running holly's, if so the nightmare begins I played with holly all my life duals are the worst I changed to carter afb now I dumped carbs all together and went dual fuel injection much better and nicer and nicer and a afr between 13.0 and 14.9 the holly's have the following areas you need to deal with

what is your eng vac at idle example 10 divide in half (5) and you are duals so divide again 2.5 that's you starting point for the power valves, do not drill the primary plates, start with pink cams and use stock primary pump don't use the 50 cc on duals, start with black secondary's spring if vac operated, start with the small or stock size squirters if you have duals, do not cut the air horns off or remove the choke blades for street use remember about every time you backfire through carb you prob need new power valves, and start with #66 jets you have duals, do not drill them yes I have seen people do that, do not mess with the air bleeds and that's a basic starting point with dual holly's lol plus holleys like idle or wide open just about all of them have a dead spot somewhere unless it is under carbureted but just remember today for a top shelf or mid grade performance carb you can damn near get fuel injection holly's are bad for dumping fuel especially if they out of wack good luck hope you get it lined out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts