Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 5.8L full-size cars never did get EFI, the last of them had a variable venturi carb on a 2-bbl intake. 95 Cobra R was the only passenger car 5.8 EFI application. Lower like a Lightning, upper like 94-95 5.0L Cobra.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crown vics came with the 5.8L efi through 91 or 92 till the platform change to the 4.6L cars. Majority were police packaged vics. I owned one in the late 90's.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Crown vics came with the 5.8L efi through 91 or 92 till the platform change to the 4.6L cars. Majority were police packaged vics. I owned one in the late 90's.
You can get an adapter for the 5.8 truck lower to 5.0 upper for around $120 or spend $300 to $400+ on a gt40 lower I have never seen a 5.8 EFI 351 in a Crown Vic only a Cobra R, There is a cast iron 351 GT40 style lower from a boat motor.

B.C. Broncos - Early Bronco EFI Fuel Parts and Kits - B. C. Broncos llc - products new home - manifold adaptor 351/5.0

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i jnkow about the bc broncos, trying to get as low as possible. Engine js in a rock buggy i am building. The truck intake is to tall.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Broncos has come up with an adapter that will allow you to use the 351w lower truck manifold and the car 5.0 HO upper manifold. This will allow you to put a 351W with EFI under a stock steel hood in your Bronco. comes with two gaskets and all necessary hardware. This is a true bolt-on fix for your hood and firewall clearance problems. Plus you may gain a little horsepower.
...hmmpf...

Too bad the adapter is not phenolic. Kill two birds with one purchase.

Have you though of OEM CFI? Should be cheaper and easier (I once knew a girl in Baltimore like that).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah i jnkow about the bc broncos, trying to get as low as possible. Engine js in a rock buggy i am building. The truck intake is to tall.
The truck lower intake is shorter than a gt40 style manifold and it uses a 5.0 Passenger car upper so it dose not sit much if any higher than a gt40 lower exploder upper...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Really? I'd like to see pics of that. I've worked as a parts guy at Ford dealers since the late 80s, always saw them with VV carbs. Ford parts catalogue only shows them that way as well. Later 80s/early 90s, the only way to get the 5.8 was in a police package car. I could be wrong, but as I said I'd love to actually see one!

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
CheapThrill - there are a couple other options that have been used with success. First is a 351W lower and just replace the upper with a sheet metal box upper with the TB on the end - very low and sort-of GM TPI-looking. The other is a 4-barrel performance lower with EFI injectors and a 4.6 or 7.4L TB elbow from the carb pad up. Tuning required.

There is always the option to use a 4v carb manifold with a 4v TBI, or almost any carb manifold with a factory CFI as mentioned. One I want to do is a 4x2 (dual-quad) with two 2v CFI units on top. Of course, these other options would not work with a Ford EEC and would need a cheap aftermarket ECM.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
One I want to do is a 4x2 (dual-quad) with two 2v CFI units on top. Of course, these other options would not work with a Ford EEC and would need a cheap aftermarket ECM.

David
This was fairly common in the very early eighties when performance parts were non-existant. I think I have a descriptive article in a SUPER FORD MAG describing such a conversion.

I was never able to find CFM ratings on the CFI throttle bodies. Did you ever come across them?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I was never able to find CFM ratings on the CFI throttle bodies. Did you ever come across them?
I did once in a thread on how to mod the lo-po V6 and 302 CFI to HO spec's, but I'll have to dig to find it somewhere. I do remember I was impressed by the flow numbers for a 2v though. Something like 500+ CFM each, but I'll have to confirm.

David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts