Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this will fit? It's coming out of an 85 Ford F-150 w/ a 302.

The motors shot, but the transmission is still good. Will it fit under my 63?

Will I have to modify the crossmember?

Will it bolt to the 352, or do I need to make an adapter plate? So many questions...

Brado

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shadesogrey on 4/2/06 11:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
There are adapters somewhere. But the cost of doing this swap is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely sweet guys, thanks for the help. The tranny is free, so I just need the kit. It'll take some saving, (as I'm constantly broke), but the gal is going to be down for a while anyways. Once I get a digital camera I'll be putting up pics of my new baby as we rebuild her.

Brado

·
Registered
278 Posts
If by some chance oyu are rolling in money you can get an AOD for FE without the adapter from Lentech. They do VERY good work......... and are priced accordingly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On 2006-04-02 00:06, erlong wrote:
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_fe.htm

Click on "kit pricing" for the FE to AOD adapter.

I had an adapter an an AOD transmission installed in my '67 390-powered Galaxie in January. Been driving it daily ever since. 20 MPG on the highway is nice.

Here are pics of the AOD, adapter plate, and engine rebuild:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=10&s=31182#content
Great pics.... Thanks. Any chance you have pics of the engine/tranny in place today and what firewall interferance looks like?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Kit cost isn't really that bad at $695.00. Have wonder what the "Other" costs were. Be nice to have OD! Will it handle 450 hp?

·
Registered
278 Posts
While the AOD is not quite at the same level as the 'glide or other older transmissions, the aftermaket internals market is growing and you can build an AOD to handle 1000+ HP.... No - like the others - the farther down that road you get the more it costs and the less "cruiser friendly" they become. The 1000HP capable AOD is probably reverse manual valve body etc and has probably lost it's 4th gear. I know of a few that shift on their own and retain the OD gear that are sitting behind ~600 - 800 HP. In these cases - gearing is not such that they are really leaning on the engine when in 4th gear.

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 4/5/06 4:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great pics.... Thanks. Any chance you have pics of the engine/tranny in place today and what firewall interferance looks like?
I'll try and snap a few pics in the morning. Plenty of clearance. The guy that did the install even pointed it out too -- seems to be a common question.

·
Registered
190 Posts
On 2006-04-03 13:55, gbeeler wrote:
Kit cost isn't really that bad at $695.00. Have wonder what the "Other" costs were. Be nice to have OD! Will it handle 450 hp?
There was fab work for the trans cross member, shift linkage, driveshaft shortening/rebalancing. I also had the engine rebuilt and rearend rebuilt at the same time. Still working on getting the engine tuned. Not running like I think it should but it's getting there. It only dyno'd at 218 HP / 350 ft-lb torque rear wheel. We think the distributor is to blame as well as ignition that's been in it for who-knows-how-long. Going to go with the performance distributors D.U.I & Livewire plug wire combo. Wallet's a little thin after all of the engine/trans work, though, and haven't yet bought the new distributor.

As for the trans itself - he built it to spec. I'm not sure what shift kit is in it, but it shifts hard right now. He gave me another valve body that I may try running in it later this summer. Right now, I just want to drive it!

BTW, if you view my registry entry, you can view all of the work that was done, line-by-line, by clicking on the maintenance log link. It was not cheap. Here's a direct link.

If you can do the fab work yourself, already have the AOD trans, then you're really paying for the adapter kit and driveshaft adjustments.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: erlong on 4/5/06 12:28pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: erlong on 4/5/06 12:28pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Adding an AOD to my wish list. I don't believe the Cruis-o will last very long after I put in the new motor. The Cruis-o only has 600 miles on it but I don't believe it will handle the increased hp and torque. I guess I see what happens and then do the AOD swap. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
By the way, I believe that Dearborn Classics has a shift linkage adapter to allow orinal shifters to work with the AOD. Just not sure if it is for column shift or floor shift. Be my luck that it would be for column shift only.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here's the clearance from the firewall with the adapter installed:

(click on the picture for a hi-resolution view)

More pics here (last 4 pics on the page).

Like I said, I'm still working on getting the engine tuned correctly. Around town mileage is really bad. But highway is a legit 20 MPG. With the top down, it's a very comfortable ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow - that's really not too bad! Thanks much for the pic... I assume that you have not changed the mounting location of the engine (moved it forward).

Does anyone know whether they moved the engine relative to the firewall between '63 and '65?

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 4/6/06 3:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
190 Posts
65Custom,

The mounting location is the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to be gone for so long guys, lost the computer at work
. When did ford switch bolt patterns on their engines for trannys? I thought it was in '66? So shouldn't a post '66 engine work with any of the '70s and 80's trannys? Or did they switch 'em again farther down the road? I'm looking at giving my brother the 352 in the Gal for his 62 Country Sedan wagon and getting a 1970 390 for my '63. I was hoping I could put in the '84 AOD with a minimum of hassle.

Brado

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's a 1654 RPM stall. Don't know what "kind" it is -- got it as part of the AOD package I purchased from the trans shop that installed the AOD and AOD-to-FE adapter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone done this on an intermediate? My dad is interested in this for his '66 Comet. I have a great hook up at the Ford dealer as both my Fairlane & Comet have AOD's. My Dad is planning to swap a 390 in & is debating whether to rebuild to C6 or install an AOD. Just wondering about the firewall clearance. I had some minor issures in both my cars,but the 390 is a much bigger motor.Thanks for any info. Are there any other adaptors out there? I remember seeing a custom bellhousing that required machining off the AOD bellhousing.-Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts