Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a complete bushing kit (part #26905A) for a 1973 Ford C-4 and during the rebuilding of the transmission, I discovered the new bushing that goes into the reverse drum simply falls into it (no resistance and will not press fit). I tried three different C-4 drums and found the bushing again simply falls to the bottom of the drum. I measured the ID of the drums and found them to be pretty uniform at approximately 4.715" (they still show factory machining on the bushing surfaces) on the average and after measuring the bushing in the kit, I found the OD to be approximately 4.705". I ordered another bushing (#26004; part #45334 on the bushing) thinking the original was defective and discovered the replacement for the replacement has the same problem of being way too loose. Catalogs show this bushing to fit '64-'86 with no apparent changes. I found the original bushings tight in their bore and was able to remove them without damaging the drum. I have never seen this before and am looking for a solution other than buying another drum. I can't understand why these bushing won't fit three drums that were recently running with no problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I recently purchased a complete bushing kit (part #26905A) for a 1973 Ford C-4 and during the rebuilding of the transmission, I discovered the new bushing that goes into the reverse drum simply falls into it (no resistance and will not press fit). I tried three different C-4 drums and found the bushing again simply falls to the bottom of the drum. I measured the ID of the drums and found them to be pretty uniform at approximately 4.715" (they still show factory machining on the bushing surfaces) on the average and after measuring the bushing in the kit, I found the OD to be approximately 4.705". I ordered another bushing (#26004; part #45334 on the bushing) thinking the original was defective and discovered the replacement for the replacement has the same problem of being way too loose. Catalogs show this bushing to fit '64-'86 with no apparent changes. I found the original bushings tight in their bore and was able to remove them without damaging the drum. I have never seen this before and am looking for a solution other than buying another drum. I can't understand why these bushing won't fit three drums that were recently running with no problems.
Possibly those are aftermarket bushings that the aftermarket manufacturer simply got the dimensions wrong...

It happens sometimes.

The only other situation I can think of, is if that bushing is similar to some other, and they got put in the wrong bin at the warehouse.

Did all bushings you received come from the same supplier?

If so, notify them, or simply try a different supplier.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that the drums are the same for the entire C-4 run. I contacted the seller of the bushings and asked the same question. They replied that their "technician" said the drums were different and they didn't have the correct bushing in stock. I asked for direction, and soon will ask for a partial refund, and have yet to receive an answer. As stated, I ordered an additional bushing from another supplier and still have the same problem. Years of rebuilding C-4s and I have never had this problem. Thought perhaps someone has seen this before.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mystery has been solved! After playing phone tag for part of the afternoon with various trans parts suppliers, I secured the correct bushing, #26061. It fit perfectly with the needed press fit. I don't know what #26004 is supposed to fit. So, I think a shout-out to "Transparts Warehouse" in Redding, Ca, is in order for going the EXTRA mile. They literally went into their warehouse and measured bushings to find the right one. Great customer service!

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Excellent .. Will have to do a bit of measuring now to see if the early drums are infact smaller ..

My parts listings show the same as yours 64 onwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts