Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think-i was watching my classic car a while back an they done an article on aguy out on the west coast with maybe 12 old fords-beautiful cars-money was not a factor with this guy-which brings ne to my question-eveeyone of them had a goddam gm motor most sbc-350 what gives with this?
the gm guys i know would never stoop to this and they laugh at the fact the ford guys do?
but this seems to be acceptable for fords
there seems to be plenty of sbf stuff out there i know the aftermarket caters to the gm and the gm parts seem to be cheaper-i dont think power is a factory as both blocks seem to give you plenty.
maybe budget is a factor-definilely not with this guy- but to me its not a ford when it has a gm heart?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm not sure of the reason either, but it really cranks my ass when I see a non-Ford powered Ford.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah it seems like all the 32 Fords have a 350 Chevy in it. Personally I don't care, as long as I can beat it. lol

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
im just getting board of the SBC. If your gonna put another motor in there, at least be orignal. Why not a Olds Rocket?

I do like to see Ford motors in Ford cars. The only time it doesnt look that bad (well anything can look horrible, if done by someone with enough talent to do so
), is with pre WWII cars.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 2/6/02 2:32am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I personally liked the first generation Camero that was in Car Craft a month or two ago. It had a 500 Cadiallac engine in it. At least he was trying something different. I do hate the SBC in everything. That is the first thing I check for.

One of the coolest cars I have seen was a 32-34 Ford with a 427 Cammer in it. I got the owner fire it up and breath for me. It drew quite a crowd.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the chevy small block is small and easy to package, thats why alot(most) street rod guys use it. i don't like it personally. a guy up the road from me has a 32? ford vickey fiberglass replicar with a 427 sohc,dual quads and all. it's a holman moody crate motor from the late 60's. he also has a cammer powered 69 mach 1. yes he is very wealthy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, this is how it started.

The flathead Ford engine has a rear sump oil pan. The small block Ford (early models) had a front sump pan. The SBC has a rear sump.

Most people found it easier and cheaper to put in a belly-button SBC than to upgrade to a SBF. After that, it just became fashionable.

I am with you guys, I hate to see anything but a Ford in a Ford. I helped a friend put a 351C in a Dodge van one time, and helped another buddy put a 428 CJ in a 69 Chevelle.
The van was easy, but the Chevelle kicked our butts for about 2 months

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I dont get it either....Also, the Distributor is in the back, so to mess with the timing in it, there is not an advantage to it.??
However, I did like Larry's Idea of putting his 351C in a Camaro just to be differant, and stir up comotion when he lifted the hood at a Camaro show.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well guys my '34 3 window coupe a steel car by the way is FORD powered. I saved it from the SBC ("Shitty Block Chevy&quot
motor I told the guy when I bought it to pull the motor and I would buy it.
It is now powered by a 5.0 with GT 40 intake, AOD trans. It does have some GM parts in it though. The rear is a Corvette and the steering column is a GM but that's it. and when I can get some money together the rear is out of there and a Ford 9" is going in or a Ford independent 8.8" rear.
Ford in a Ford it's the ONLY way to go. No more excuses they fit in any old Ford.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dontov was a very smart guy. They had SBCs at all of the speed parts companies before the public even had it. there is a letter somewhere where he stated that they had to take the youth market away from Ford, who had dominated with the flathead for so many years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Worst I ever saw was a 34 Coupe with a SBC... The numb nut engraved the blue oval into the aluminum valve covers... I'm sure a psychologist would have fun with that guy....

Just sold my 2.3 and 5spd. to a guy who is going to put it into a Geo Tracker...

Tried to put a 350 Buick motor into a 78 Firebird when I was 17. It had a 231 Buick motor previously... Not a good idea... Ended up with a 400 Pontiac motor. It's all about getting the right motor mounts!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would love to get ahold of a 54 chevy truck and drop a Ford powerplant in it. I just love the front end of those trucks and since the front end is similar to a 50 Ford, it seems only natural.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sick and tired of sbc's too. I'd like to see someone put a powerstroke diesel in a 55 chevy pickup. I dont understand the guys who put blue ovals all over their chevy powered Fords either. The worst two chevy crimes I have ever seen was a sbc in a Cobra kit car with an AUTOMATIC (what a dork!), the second was some moron who put a sbc in a Jaguar XKE, fully restored versions go for $150,000 and he totally destroied all of its value by puttin in a stupid chebby.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I said this the before, the chevys would not be worth anything with out FORD, how many nascar guys run a chevy rear end, if was not for FORD the chevy guys would not have anything to put their SBC motors into, I hate to see those SBC motors in a FORD as much as you guys, but when I win the lottery I will find me the most rare of chevy cars and set their drive trains in the rain to rust and replace them with FORD power plants, trannys, and rear ends, take them to car shows with a sign that says "WHY ARE YOU BITCHING, LOOK AT THE CHEVY POWERED FORD NEXT TO MY FORD POWERED CHEVY"

·
Registered
541 Posts
Like the saying goes "Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff" at least thats what the last 32 ford I saw said on the window sticker. But I hate seeing people mixing different brands together. Then my one friends saids that he like to take the best of each brand and stick them together to make a better car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i don't care much for the sbc but i do like to see the mopar 426 hemi in any car there is just something about that gets me going

1 - 20 of 22 Posts