Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Ethan Collins and I am a 22 year old college student from Atlanta, Georgia. I own a 1964 Ford Falcon simply known as, "Elvira." In the photo with the people around the car, you'll see a skinny guy in a red chair. (that's me! Sorry I'm not better looking.) The car came into my ownership through my gracious dad who taught me how to own, operate, fix, and love all things cars. The car is powered by a Crate 347 stroker making 300hp and 450lbs at the rear wheels. The car has been a c4 automatic for the duration of it's life. The color of the car is a Chrysler paint code that I can't recall off the top of my head, but if asked, I can look around for!
The main goal of this build thread will be to convert my car into THE FIRST Ford Falcon in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Starting today, November 4th, 2015 I will be tearing apart my car, searching for sponsors, and honing my driving skills to try and obtain an entry spot in the OUSCI 2016 field.
The first order of business will be the front suspension. I saved all my money as a pizza boy for the past year and managed to have enough to buy a Mustang II front setup from Rod And Custom Motorsports. The kit features adjustable coilovers, two inch drop spindles, Wilwood four piston calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, and a beefy one inch sway bar. I included a photo of the kit in it's assembled form.
Let the tear down begin!

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
:tup: I love that color , I would like to have the name or color code if possible . I believe i would like to change my "Gardsman Blue " 64 to that color . I am guessing the blue one you are next to is the same car ? I plan to follow your project so good luck with it .
Hey we may even be related , my last name is Collins too. But then maybe not , i was in the Ozarks on vacation and looked at one of the local phone books , had about 3 pages of Collins listed. :) JIM

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Hello Ethan, welcome to the Forum,

Great looking Falcon. The wheels, from a distance, look like Torq-Thrusts, but up close the appear to be different - what brand are they?

If possible, please provide us with engine specifications, such as who was the builder, and what your driving impressions are. A lot of us here on the Forum are contemplating moving up to 347 crate engines for our Falcons (and Comets) and would like to hear about your experience with yours.

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor I am running is a crate product from Summit racing. I have put it through the paces FOR SURE! It was affordable, reliable and has plenty of room for improvement as far as power goes. The builder if Blueprint Engines
The motor makes 300Hp and 450lbs torque. I have had the motor for about 5 years and have had no real problems.
The drive ability is great. I get about 10mpg with a C4 and stock '65 sprint gears out back when I'm cruising at 70mph.
The sound is beefy as well. I have a set of Flowmaster Super 40's?? I think. It's been so long since I put the exhaust in, I can't recall for sure.
I have included a link for the engine from Summit.com in the next line
BluePrint Engines Ford 347 Stroker 330HP Value Power Base Crate Engines BP3472CT - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

(if the link doesn't work, im sorry , i'm new. Just copy paste!)
I also included a picture of my motor as it sits now, out of the car.

The paint code is Chrysler Sapphire Silver Blue Metallic from a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. Code 368 and PS3

The wheels are a vintage set of Torque Thrust R's from the early 70's. Sadly, they wont fit over the Wilwood brakes in my front suspension kit. I am in the middle of making a deal with a fellow Falcon owner to have them sold so I can get a set of 15's of 17's. I haven't decided which yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok last night I managed to get the bird on the lift and start taking apart the front end. Here is the car with no motor or trans. The C4 is sitting in my shop and is going to be part of my dad's '64 Galaxie build. I had previously bought a T10 4 speed and didn't do my Homework..... Now that I know it would be destroyed behind the high torque 347, it is for sale on Ebay. Here's the link!

Ford Falcon T10 Transmission | eBay

I plan on buying a Toploader from a company in the Carolinas called Blue Ridge Performance I met them at a swap meet and they really know their stuff.

The old suspension will be torn out to make way for the new goods!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Ethan,

Thanks for the update. :tup:

Have you given any thought to something like a TKO 5-speed, instead of the Toploader, to get that overdrive 5th gear? Just curious...thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have thought about it, but they are a bit pricey for me. Plus, I won't be doing too much highway driving, and Gas mileage really isn't a thing with this bird anyway... :cry:

Here are a few pictures of the car in it's current state. I should work at a chop shop, me thinks...

Also great news! I managed to get my first sponsor! Munssey Speed and Design out of Souther Cali! Here's a link to their web sight. On there, you'll see something I have on order. :)
Munssey Speed & Design - Different, on purpose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Have you already purchased the front suspension? I've heard from some that the Mustang II suspension design wasn't really meant for performance driving and there are others out there that make kits for the Falcons. My buddy swears by stuff from Total Cost Involved. Just a thought.

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ethan,

Nice ride! I have a 63 hardtop almost finished but need front end parts for my 63 convertible. I have the 5 lug spindles but need a few items.
I may be interested in your draglink, pitman arm and idler arm if it's for sale. Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks Glenn

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have been away for a while to get a hold on school finals and focusing on stuffing all the Thanksgiving food in my stomach.

First thing's first. I sold my T10 and I am going to pick up a newly rebuilt Toploader from Blue Ridge Motorsports tomorrow in Lowgap NC.

Second, I cut out my shock towers with a saws-all and now I have some grinding to do before I can mock up the new front cross member and mark it up to go and get it welded. Note: saws-all blades don't turn corners and they break... next time I'll buy more blades so I don't have to run to the hardware store so much.

Third, I bought some cheap wheels until I can save some money and grab a nice set. I'm thinking of something a bit more flashy. The wheels I got are 15x7 with 4 inches of backspacing. I slapped a set off Toyo Proxxess R888's on too. The Tires measure 205/50/15. I was surprised that they fit so spaciously under the rear fenders.... I may have to invest in some larger tires.

Here are some pics of what I'm working with so far.

65FalconLover, I have already purchased the front setup. I plan on installing a Montecarlo bar of some sort to add back to the rigidity that the shock tower braces provided. I also have been drooling over this kit for ages, so It would have been difficult for anyone to talk me out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the Toploader I grabbed from Blue Ridge Performance out of Lowgap NC.
I should be grinding off all the burs, studs, brackets and whatever is left off the frame later this week. Then I can break out the directions and measure off where to mount the cross member.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
65FalconLover, I have already purchased the front setup. I plan on installing a Montecarlo bar of some sort to add back to the rigidity that the shock tower braces provided. I also have been drooling over this kit for ages, so It would have been difficult for anyone to talk me out of it.

I get it! Since it looks like you're doing this yourself and aren't afraid to cut and weld you might consider a mini-tub while you're at it. A stock Falcon fender barely fits a 225/60-15 so if bigger rubber is your wish I'd do that now. I'm running a 295/50-15 on mine but we did other work besides just the tubs, but with careful planning you'll be able to run much larger than you are now.

My front end is all stock original aside from the larger sway bar so I'd be happier with anything right now!

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I watched an episode of OUSCI and saw another Falcon...Damn.. Oh well....Here is some progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm just an old guy with more time than money or brains working on my driver 65 comet. Very impressed to see the quick progress you're making on the front end upgrade as it is a bucket-list item of mine. A question, how will you maintain the rigidity with the braces from the old shock towers to firewall removed? Aside from a Monte Carlo bar which goes side to side, will you have any additional supports from the firewall to your new front end configuration to prevent flexing?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm just an old guy with more time than money or brains working on my driver 65 comet. Very impressed to see the quick progress you're making on the front end upgrade as it is a bucket-list item of mine. A question, how will you maintain the rigidity with the braces from the old shock towers to firewall removed? Aside from a Monte Carlo bar which goes side to side, will you have any additional supports from the firewall to your new front end configuration to prevent flexing?

Thanks,
Mike
That was one of my chief concerns when I started this build. Other than the Monte bar, I plan on doing Subframe connectors, and a somewhat tame rollbar setup that will end up going through the fire wall and down onto the front subframe. The details of that aren't too clear yet. I plan on getting th motor in and getting the car all adjusted before I get a rollbar mounted.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts