Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on this set up from Tbird Ranch? PCV conversion Thunderbird Ranch For a 390 Fe motor with oil breather and road draft tube.
I believe it would get vacuum from my Holley Carb. Currently it gets air from oil breather/fill tube at front of manifold and goes out through road draft. From my understanding the pvc would get the fumes which I believe cleans and recycles back into system. Is there a downside? Does the oil breather remain the same or does that need changed? Looking for anyone that has done this or opinions if this is a good idea.
20210502_101017.jpg
20210502_101037.jpg
20210502_101042.jpg

·
Registered
63 convertable
991 Posts
it will work fine with the oil cap you have. the hose coming off the back of the carb is where it will connect. the flair fitting in the manifold is where the brake booster should be connected(without the flair fitting)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will work fine with the oil cap you have. the hose coming off the back of the carb is where it will connect. the flair fitting in the manifold is where the brake booster should be connected(without the flair fitting)
Are you saying the pvc will connect at the tub with the bolt plugging it? The brake booster is connected to that fitting.
So I do not need to worry about another source of air intake...the oil breather cap will still serve as the intake?

·
Registered
63 convertable
991 Posts
brake booster should be where the steel line is connected. if the hose at the back is a water line, you need to replace the carb spacer with one that has the vacuum fitting. if the steel line is for the trans, connect it to the one with the bolt in it. either way you need more vac fittings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brake booster should be where the steel line is connected. if the hose at the back is a water line, you need to replace the carb spacer with one that has the vacuum fitting. if the steel line is for the trans, connect it to the one with the bolt in it. either way you need more vac fittings.
I found this on a Tbird site...looks like they connected from draft tube to pvc port on holley--which I should be able to duplicate unless I am missing something?

·
Registered
63 convertable
991 Posts
if you have the skills, you can cut off the draft tube and weld in a nipple that fits the pcv hose and save the money

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you have the skills, you can cut off the draft tube and weld in a nipple that fits the pcv hose and save the money
Unfortunately welding is not one of my skills. The kit is only $50 plus shipping so not an issue. I was just wanting to make sure I wouldn't regret switching by doing harm to the motor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone remove a draft tube? I believe the press in. Just wondering if it it's going to come out pretty easy and the pvc adapter just pushes in or will some sort of tool be needed to do both?

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone remove a draft tube? I believe the press in. Just wondering if it it's going to come out pretty easy and the pvc adapter just pushes in or will some sort of tool be needed to do both?
I did my 64 390, many years ago. I was able to cut the downdraft tube in sections while removing it. Getting it out of the manifold took time. I was not in a hurry I used long screw driver as a punch to loosen the short piece left. I found a tapered fitting at Hardware that is tight fit. I was fortunate my Ford 2v spacer had a nipple caped of to connect the hose to, but you're correct the hose will connect to a Holley carb. Years of running with just the breather cap and my wife no longer complains of smelling fumes. Good luck and be patient

1 - 14 of 14 Posts