Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of Richmond 3:89 gears set up in my 9" rear and was wondering if I should add the Ford friction modifier lube.
What does it do?
Its so cool to be able to put both tires up in smoke at will now.

Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
The friction modifier is only necessary if you have a limited slip. Otherwise you can run straight gear oil.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess I do have a limited slip if its a trac-loc rearend and it spins both tires.
Does the stuff make the clutches grab harder or what?
Anyone?

·
Registered
398 Posts
By the description of what the friction modifier is supposed to do, which is reduce grabbiness and chirping around corners, it sounds like the stuff actually reduces the friction of the clutch pack.

I plan on using very little next time on my trac-lok. We'll see how it does.

Greg

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Greg I dont think I am going to add the stuff.I used Penzoil high performance gear oil for limited slip differentials so I think I'll be fine .

·
Registered
596 Posts
Put it in. (that's what she said) lol

It helps the clutches so they don't grab as much when they are breaking in. I just did my rear with 3.70's and the trac loc. Everyone I talked to said the same thing, "put it in" it will save your clutches and they will last longer. You will still get the traction on both sides. 1 bottle with the gear oil. They said make sure you use the gear oil for the limited slip, and "don't use synthetic" it will destroy your clutches......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gold Trac recommends synthetic thats what I put in and no problems

·
Registered
140 Posts
They are right,the modifier makes it turn quieter but will not affect a full scale hard run,I run it in my 8.8 with 3.73 gears and still hook both tires hard,just rebuilt the Traxloc,here's a hint tho,use an F-150 S spring instead of the stock one,it's stiffer and makes the clutches grab harder.
Jax
89LX
02 F-350 Powerstroke tow vehicle

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I will put it in.The friction modifier that is.Its too late now to put the heavier spring in but thanks for the tip.
I am eventually going to have a complete currie or Moser or whoever rearend built to handle some hard launches since I only have 28 sline stock axles for now
so this rearend is kind of a crutch for now while I still run on the street.The trac-loc will be replaced by an auburn locker or something similar.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts